Which tank would you get?

sasq40

Wifes given me permission to get a new tank after moving and we couldn't fit the old one anywhere in our house. Going to be putting the new tank in a bump-out which is 70" wide(so close to 72!!) So I've been looking into 4 options. The Red Sea reefer 525, The IM NUVO Int 170,waterbox 180.5, and custom-built. At the end of the day, they all seem to be around the same price(4000$ CAD).

I like that the IM is coast to coast, setup for bean animal and aluminum stand, but it seems like you don't get as much for your money with them(no sump, which I have but not the point) Also the tank seems to be 30" in depth which id prefer 24 as that's the bump-out but not the end of the world to have it stick out.

The red sea and waterbox I don't see huge differences in them.

The custom option I get the biggest tank possible that will fit in my location and set up how i want(which might be a good or bad thing ha) But I also don't have a ton of extra spare time to be building a stand and im to cheap to pay someone to build one that probably won't be as nice as the one id build. Im also having a hard time finding someone localish(nearest is 600km away) to build a tank that I'm confident knows reef tanks and there plumbing(every seems confused when i ask about c2c and beans animal)

So end of the day looking for recommendations on what you guys would do. I plan to do a full reef system but nothing crazy as its hard to get anything where i live since theres no local salt water fish store here. Ive already got all the equipment side of things from my old 180g,2 mp40s,3 xr30,skimmer,and Vectra M2 return.

I’d go for a custom built tank that can make maximum use of the length of the area you’re putting it in while still allowing at least 24” in width. Never get this obsession with height over width and length. I say the longer over taller tank also because you’d want it to span as many floor joists as possible therefore reducing the pressure on each joist.

1+ on custom I'd get glass for sure. IMO I've seen too many Red Sea reefer and even some water box stands fall apart quickly. They are made out of cheap material and don't look the sturdiest compared to when you're building a stand go with an aluminum frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which tank would you get?

I've got an RSR 250 and RSR 525XL and love both - 250 is 4 years old, 525XL is 1. Build quality is good in my opinion and the 525 cabinet is plywood throughout. I have a (basic) build thread for both on the "˜other' reef forum if you want to check that out - same username.

Another option for you is the Aussie Cade tanks - they do have the benefit of a metal stand if you are concerned about the quality of the WB and RSR stands.

I don't agree with a wider custom tank as you will need room on the sides for maintenance and a 5' tank in your 70" space only gives you 5" room on each side which is a bit tight but still workable (assuming you have something hard on each side).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got an RSR 250 and RSR 525XL and love both - 250 is 4 years old, 525XL is 1. Build quality is good in my opinion and the 525 cabinet is plywood throughout. I have a (basic) build thread for both on the "˜other' reef forum if you want to check that out - same username.

Another option for you is the Aussie Cade tanks - they do have the benefit of a metal stand if you are concerned about the quality of the WB and RSR stands.

I don't agree with a wider custom tank as you will need room on the sides for maintenance and a 5' tank in your 70" space only gives you 5" room on each side which is a bit tight but still workable (assuming you have something hard on each side).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good thing you said that, I forgot about the dryside of my mp40s lol

Back