White balance issue/question/help...

nightOwl

Premium Member
Hi all,
I am having issues setting my white balance correctly on my camera now that I have a combination of T5's and VHO's over my tank. I have seen some great pictures on this forum and I was wonder are people using a white balance reference card or just the auto settings. My camera sucks but it works for me until I can afford a new one. It's old and I have had it for years now, but I like the other pictures it takes. It's an Olympus C770. It has some preset white balance settings, but they never give the correct correct color. It always looks blueish. I try use the one touch WB by pointing it at inside of my canopy which is white. When I load the pictures they either look over exposed, not the color of the corals in the tank, or have a blueish hue to them. Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated. By the way I shoot in tiff mode.

Thanks,

Henry

Last edited:
edwing206,
Do I just print that out does it need to be on any special paper matte, photo, gloss, etc?

Thanks,
Henry

Something else to try is using an additive lid (like the bright white lid from a container of kalkwasser for instance) and holding it under water, directly under the lights. The lids are pretty much pure white and won't harm the tank.

Thanks so much to both of you. I will try both of these and see what I come up with.

THanks,

Henry

Back