Why Carbon?

I've found that my leathers would open up more when I was running carbon. I had about 5 different leathers in my tank at the time including devil's hand, nepthia, singulara, and toadstools.

4643629092welcome.gif

I usually let my carbon run for about a month and then change it out. The primary benefit I notice is polyp extension and I also like the crystal clear water.

The secondary benefit is the carbon bag I use acts as a sort of mechanical fillter trapping detritus.

Are you using carbon or considering it?

i was thinking of running some carbon. tube sock with carbon would work? there is no real way to test for the toxins?

Unless you have some very sophisticated professional lab equipment, there is no way to test for toxins. Each coral species has a unique assortment of toxins it releases, especially when it detects other toxins; all those really add up quickly in a tank, so I would definitely run carbon, if just for safety's sake. Plus, you never know how clear your water is (or isn't). I recently increased the carbon in my 75 reef, which [I thought] had crystal clear water, yet I can already see a difference in clarity.
One thing I've got to say, though:
originally posted by Chubb
why do people say especially for softie tanks to run some carbon?
All corals release toxins, and all are susceptible to them, so I would consider carbon beneficial for all systems, not just softies and/or mixed reefs.

No real way to test for the toxins but it has been proven that there are "toxins" and it is not a myth and has a scientific name. Thats what people are talking about when they say there softies are having chemical warfare. That is why carbon is reccomended especialy for soft coral tanks but aside from that crabon has many benifits and I would suggest you run carbon on any tank ... it isnt any where near as elaborate as other reef equipment. I filter bag (flatened out not in a ball) in a high flow area of the sump would work fine.

Is there a down side to running carbon? I have two different leathers in my tank and I do not run any carbon at this time, what would the benifit be for me to start? Also would I run it all the time and change out once every month?

Just taging along for the info. Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7617175#post7617175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by galveston_guy
Will Purigen accomplish the same thing as carbon?

Not sure but I beleiev that is a nitrate absorber and may not achieve what carbon does.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7617828#post7617828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by enemec1
Is there a down side to running carbon? I have two different leathers in my tank and I do not run any carbon at this time, what would the benifit be for me to start? Also would I run it all the time and change out once every month?

Just taging along for the info. Thanks.

Downsides would be cost of carbon ands extra maintenence such as changing carbon and rinsing new carbon before added. Benifits would be clearer water, better polyp extension, and absorbsion of chemicals given off by your leathers (which is minimul) that could harm your other corals. And yes you would have to change it out every once and a while.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7623925#post7623925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ti
I actually stopped using carbon

Any reason?

Another point to consider about carbon is that it removes more than just organics from the water. It also removes trace elements, which may or may not be a problem in a tank depending on the frequency of water changes and whether or not a trace element supplement is dosed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7625280#post7625280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fsn77
Another point to consider about carbon is that it removes more than just organics from the water.

Will carbon remove calcium?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7662730#post7662730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SanFranTodd
Will carbon remove calcium?

Carbon should have no direct effect on calcium. Carbon can remove trace elements and organics from the water. It's quite useful for removing organics, but can continue to remove trace elements even after it's used up its potential for removing organics. Unfortunately, there's no real test to measure trace element concentrations, so knowing whether or not any carbon is depleting them involves keeping an eye on your corals. If your corals are healthy and growing, there's a good chance you don't have a problem with the carbon removing too many trace elements.

My comments are just a heads up so readers don't think carbon only removes organics and nothing else.

I'm not saying that carbon is bad. I use it myself. I do not dose extra trace elements. But, I do only use it for a 3 day period prior to a water change, then it gets thrown away. I rely on the water change to replenish trace element concentrations.

Honestly, whether or not you should use carbon and for how long is up to you. When I first started my tank, I didn't use it, or even have a need for it. But now, we have a large toadstool leather, so I (at least) feel the need to use it. Each tank is different -- different fish load, types and amounts of corals, different water change schedules. Like most things in this hobby, it really is a matter of what works for you in your tank.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what is the simplest way to run carbon? Is there any special equipment required?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7672316#post7672316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NETSECPRO
Sorry to hijack this thread, but what is the simplest way to run carbon? Is there any special equipment required?

A media bag of carbon in the sump is pretty simple. That's how I run it -- after the skimmer but before the return pump.

If you are doing water changes on a regular basis than the trace elements removed by carbon and your livestock won't be an issue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7675714#post7675714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChinChek787
If you are doing water changes on a regular basis than the trace elements removed by carbon and your livestock won't be an issue.

That's why I perform regular 10% weekly water changes, instead of larger bi-weekly or monthly water changes like some others opt to do.

Biweely is twice a week unless you meant once every two weeks.

Carbon

Pros: Removes organics
Rids of odors or chemicles
Gives the water more clarity
Ensures the well being of soft corals and other living inverts

Cons: Removes Trace elements
Can be an irritant to some fish like tangs
Can also remove organics which some corals like Xenia
to grow at a faster rate
Can be a detritus collector thus the build of nitrates

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7676711#post7676711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
Biweely is twice a week unless you meant once every two weeks.

Funny... I thought semi-weekly was twice a week, so I looked it up. It ends up that bi-weekly can mean twice a week or every two weeks -- bi-weekly can = semi-weekly. But, yes, I did mean every two weeks (perhaps I should have said semi-monthly or just typed out every two weeks -- that's what I get for trying not to type too much). Sorry for any confusion. :cool:

Back