Why Carbon?

So running too much carbon can hurt Xenia but help Leathers? Cuz I thinkn I am noticing that myself. My Xenias have gotten very small but my Toadstool looks very healthy. I have been running Carbon 24/7 for about 4 months now.

QUESTION: Can you recycle carbon in any way, OR do we need to buy new carbon? For a time now, I was simply rinsing it in very hot water, and it seemed to work. I do buy new carbon just for the record, but changing all the carbon I use biweekly is $$$$.

Any thoughts?

Too much of anything can be a bad thing... :D

I wouldn't say the carbon is hurting your Xenia. It could be removing trace elements that your Xenia would like to have, but it wouldn't necessarily effect only the Xenia. As far as helping leathers, I'd say it helps protect your other corals from your leathers more than it helps the leathers themselves.

Unfortunately, you cannot reactivate carbon at home. Once the small pores are clogged, they are clogged. Rinsing in hot water can remove material clogging some pores near the surface of the carbon granules, but you'd barely make a dent in terms of returning the carbon to an effectiveness level near what it was new. Rinsing it every now and then might prolong its use a little just by removing any film or growth from its surface, but it's not really reactivating it.

I'm actually going to run a phosban reactor with carbon in it. My 120 is all leathers and mushrooms. I bought it should be at my house today.

I've considered doing that myself. I'm planning to DIY a phosphate reactor and thought about making a second one for carbon. Please let us know if you like how works out.

I'm in the camp that keeps carbon on hand for emergencies but I don't run it for any long periods of time. In IME: good skimmer, and regular water changes should be all that's needed on a regular basis.

Activated carbon is also succesptible to leaching phosphate. Most of it is phosphate free from my time using it, but always be aware that it can be a potential source. (N.B. the cheaper it is).

I've been using Kent Reef Carbon, but found out after I bought it that the Two Little Fishies brand is suppose to be even better in terms of phosphate leaching (although both claim to not leach any phosphate). I soak the carbon in a bucket of fw RO/DI for about an hour before putting it in our sump, hoping any phosphate will leach out before it hits our tank. I realize I'm not getting all of it in that short of a time period (if there's even any leaching occurring to begin with), but something is better than nothing.

Back