Why does a 250w on a 24" deep tank...

lagger: I believe one of your underlying questions remains unanswered.

You asked, "Is one 250w enough for 36" x 18" x 24"?" I believe the answer to that question lies in both reflector and height from tank.

My 75g is 36"w x 18"d x 28"t (four inches taller than your tank). I have elected to go with two bulbs to get end-to-end coverage, among other reasons. I will be running 2 x 250w DE Phoenix 14k (unless the 'saki's are out by the time I am ready to run water in the new place...) on PFO M80 Ballasts (just shipped and will arrive on Tuesday!!).

If you are comfortable with light seep and build your "reef" appropriately, then one bulb can light that tank with certain caveats. A significant amount of light will escape over the ends of your tank. A noticeable amount of shadow will be created at the ends of the tank. Now, this is perfectly fine if you place your corals to maximum advantage. As many have stated, certain reflectors are going to do a better job of getting that light well-spread. A DE bulb on either an M80 or E-ballast is what will optimize that single light for that tank.

HTH!

(Your mileage may vary; certain rules and restrictions may apply...)

Thanks token. I have one 250de in a ROIII right now & it does a good enough job with coverage, so I think a lumenarc or lumenmax should be even better. I plan to hang bottom of the fixture around 6" from water level.

I think Im just gonna get a 250 se & if I dont like, I'll swap the bulb & ballast for a 400 ;) Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10475609#post10475609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lagger
Thanks token. I have one 250de in a ROIII right now & it does a good enough job with coverage, so I think a lumenarc or lumenmax should be even better. I plan to hang bottom of the fixture around 6" from water level.
I can't speak for the ROIII or the Lumenmax, but the difference between the light spread and penetration going from a spider to a Luminarc is incredible. A 250w in a luminarc should be plenty good enough for a 24" deep tank.

Well here it is......XM 20K....kinda dim but really makes the corals pop Must be the purple the phoenix doesn't have. Its not as blue as in the pics. I like it so far...

20198890gr4.jpg

27628520pw3.jpg

49732854qa6.jpg

24148991sg7.jpg

I need more coral. All this was transferred from my old 20g.

82231212ep5.jpg

Last edited:
Back