Why mangroves?

gramma royale

Hi all,

I was told just recently that mangroves can act as nutrient vaccuums in a reef tank environment. My first tank was set up with a DSB, which worked quite well. But from what I've been told, mangroves can actually reduce toxic metals in the water as well. Any truth in this? Or do mangroves just absorb nitrate?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is really a lot of data out there to support the idea of using Mangroves for removing metals. For nutrient removal, thier growth is pretty slow and you therefore need quite a few in order for them to act as a suffucient nutrient sink.

billsreef said:
I don't think there is really a lot of data out there to support the idea of using Mangroves for removing metals. For nutrient removal, thier growth is pretty slow and you therefore need quite a few in order for them to act as a suffucient nutrient sink.

Bill,

What is the ideal conditions for mangroves in a reef aquaium with a refugium? Lighting, waterflow, etc. Just some ideas would be nice for all us rookies.:)

What is the ideal conditions for mangroves in a reef aquaium with a refugium?

I would suggest doing a search on this forum. I few good mangrove threads were started when it began. In all honesty, they will grow best in water tha is less than full sea-strength, they then don't have to work to pull out fresh water for their use and grow much faster. Deep substrates packed FULL of nutrients (more than you want in a reef tank) is best.

after you have done your research on mangroves and you have purchased your first few plants. Remember, if the plants already have root systems, bury the roots! I bought 10 plants and all of them but one died. The lone survivor has its roots buried in the sand, and I know that is why it is still alive.

pbuck said:
after you have done your research on mangroves and you have purchased your first few plants. Remember, if the plants already have root systems, bury the roots! I bought 10 plants and all of them but one died. The lone survivor has its roots buried in the sand, and I know that is why it is still alive.

I have 4 new red mangroves coming. All have 4-6 leaves, and root system. I read all about the salinity shock, lighting, etc. Some say to "float" the plants, some say bury in a DSB. Anyone else want to comment on their experiences?

I have read that you are going to have the best luck floating them in the beginning. This will allow them to acclimate. But, after a few days or a week you will need to bury the roots. IMO that is how they absorb the nutrients needed to live. Like I said, all but one of my mangroves survived because I floated them for a few weeks. The only one that survived is the one that I buried the roots. I have checked periodically and the roots seem to keep growing. Also, the plant has put on 4 new leaves since I first got it.

Back