Why Me?

Dang-gum digging deep to find this thread. From 03 sail33 good one to bring back though it shows some things to watch out for.

Behavioral questions

Behavioral questions

While we're on the subject of odd behavior...

My mantis appears to not be much of a digger. Is that a bad sign or just something that varies from species to species? He's a G. Chiragra and has put shells and some substrate over some of the holes in the LR from time to time, but otherwise hasn't done any "heavy construction" of any kind.

I'm going to buy some PVC pipe for him to have a proper burrow because a lot of times he just curls up on the substrate underneath a piece of LR looking uncomfortable, but unwilling to dig into the substrate. He also attempts to "escape" through one particular side of the tank where he can obviously see the reflection of the LR. That makes me think his living arrangement is dissatisfying to him and he wants to find somewhere else to go.

Also, is it bad that he's always using his cleaners to brush off his eyes, shell and gills? Is that normal or indicative of poor water quality? I have 3 dwarf hermits, 1 small (<1/2 inch) emerald crab, and 3 large turbo snails in the tank with him (8-9lbs of LR). Too much bioload for a 15G tank? Any other thoughts? Anyone have a G. Chiragra that can relate or pass anything on to me?

much appreciated for digging this up actually!thats a handy post from Roy. i have been fortunate not to lose any to unknown causes (knock on wood, a whole bunch of times)

Back