Why won't this open?

how long have you had it?i own a lfs and when i get wellsos in they sometimes seem to take a little longer than trachys to open up and get really full and expanded.reason i dont know but i really have noticed this and ive seen them take from 2 or 3 days to 10 or 11 to really get going ?some of these are attached to the reef and are chipped of when they are collected i have wondered if this does not have a lot to do with it i also read somewhere that they are collected in more shaded areas of the reef and maybe that affects them some?i keep ours under 420 watts of vhos but i always put them under the glass brace because when i would put them directly lit they always seem to take even longer to get to there healthy looking state.just my 2 cents.

Do you have any tangs?I have caught my tangs picking at the flesh of the corals to the point where I had to move it to another tank,and these were well behaved fish I had for years

The zoos just look close. They were no part in this. The zoos fell off of a rock way long after the coral would not open.

What is the water chemistry like, especially nitrate and phosphate? Do you run carbon? Water change schedule? Typically this is a reaction to slightly degraded water quality IME.

cj

I used to do a 25 gallon water change every two weeks. I tested the water and my nitrates are high. I'm going to start doing it every week until my nitrates go down. This still doesn't explain why it has been like this for so long, my nitrates just recently starting going up.

What's your salinity like? My brains both do this when my salinity goes outside the norm. The temp might be an issue too. It's been hot around here.

Good Luck
Ariel

The temperature is a steady 77, I have a chiller. My salinity is also steady at 1.024. You can frag this type of brain?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8160020#post8160020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adamsky27
I used to do a 25 gallon water change every two weeks. I tested the water and my nitrates are high. I'm going to start doing it every week until my nitrates go down. This still doesn't explain why it has been like this for so long, my nitrates just recently starting going up.

How high is nitrate? What about phosphate? My advise would be a series of several large water changes to flush the system, though it is certainly useful to know the water parameters to start with. Have you determined what caused nitrate to rise recently?

cj

Do you have tangs? I had a blue tang that nipped mine amost to dead. I sold the tang and it was back to normal. Also my saifin tang did the same thing, this time I end up selling the brain. Cover the brain with a 1/2 2 litre soda bottle and see if it puffs up, if it does someone is picking at it. The way I caught the blue tang nipping at it is I put my camera filming for a couple of hours and caught the little $#@!!

Look at the brain to the left all puffed up inside the bottle :)
DSC0002.jpg

Back