Will clam eat Kent's (dead) Phyto?

Evergreen

I first got the Derasa to clean up my green tank. It is really working, the tank is much less green (yeah yeah laugh at my Handle !) After he is finished with the natural phyto in the tank, can I spot feed him with a liquid or perhaps a powdered phytoplankton? Do they eat any Zooplankton or rotifers? Do i just add it to tank and hope he gets it? Eventually i may culture phyto, or get Bottles of DT's, but its a far drive for me to pick that up! Plus is a lot $, so if the dead stuff will do, I would prefer!
:smurf:

I have two clams all I feed are Kent products.
They are doing great.
I am about to start culturing my own but that is just a new hobby. :)

Yes to phyto, no to zooplankton and rotifers.

Dt's IN MY OPINION is the best. But if you can only do freezedried or kent it is better than nothing.

If the clam is over 3 inches, it is not imperative to feed phyto, good lighting will be enough. Although I do encourage you to feed phyto.

Best of luck, and hey where is the pic?

Rob

Hey sorry to barge in here but, so a good sized clam will help remove excess phyto from the water then? What's the gallon per clam ratio if known?

Thanks

also, HOLEINONE1972

I put a new clam in a 24", offeset from a 250 MH. Left the light on for 6 hours or so and the clam looked excellent. Second day now, am I gonna kill it by turning on the other 2 MH over it at 24" on the sand?

Tanks

Well the question is, what kind of light was the clam used to before you got him? What kind of clam is it? What size is it?

If it is at the bottom of your tank, I would think it would be fine. I like to put lights on for 2 off for 2 and so on. Next day on 3 off for 3

Rob

ToiletTank13 said:
Hey sorry to barge in here but, so a good sized clam will help remove excess phyto from the water then? What's the gallon per clam ratio if known?

Thanks

All I know is that someone recommended me to buy a product "Algone" which would have cost me like $40. so instead I bought a Derasa 3". My water right now is like 90% clear (I can finally see the back wall) when before my water was a soup resembling DT's Phytoplankton (dark green in a white pail). I previously could only see the very front of the rock, maybe 5 inches into the tank. This took 6 days with the clam.

I tried using Algone. Didn't work for me. I still have a whole bunch left. I alternate in feeding my clam with Kent's and DT's.

Back