Working with acrylic article (Building a Protein Skimmer)

RA

Jon I would like to start this by saying that your article was great and very informative. :D But before I tackle a project of building my own protein skimmer I have a few questions for you. The first question is when using flanges to connect tubing, what keeps water from leaking at the flange? Should a gasket be used there? My second question is I would like to have a 1/2" or 3/4" tube come out of the side of a 3" tube that will be used for the injection/discharge in the protein skimmer. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks, Bob

Bob,
See my web site for plans on CC skimmers and an article on skimmer design which might be helpful. There are instructions there on putting feedtroughs in the side of a pipe. Also check my Feburary ReefKeeping article (Plumbing 101) which has more information taht might be helpful. I have made gaskets out of EPDM pond liner materal and also car innertube. :)
HTH
Jon

Jon

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your commitment and help to the reefing community, You have helped me drastically and you never seem to amaze me with your knowledge and even more so your kindness to share it! You are definately a valuable asset to the reefing community! Thanx Jon! BTW I love your acrylic article and am working on some DIY CA reacs and skimmers for my coral farm now thanks to you!

scubadude..

Thanks so much for the kind words. :)
I not only love doing DIY projects but as well I enjoy sharing. Good luck with the projects your working on and don't hesitate to holler at me if I can be of any help.

Snailman :wavehand:

Back