Would like some info on housing a mantis shrimp..

Mine is downstairs in the living room and I can still hear him going to town on things in my bedroom from time to time. Don't put it in the bedroom.

Yep, my old Peacock was around 5-5.5" or so (not yet full grown) and his strikes could be heard across the house if I didn't close the door to the tank room, especially if he was working on a tough snail. Noisy lil' critters for sure.

I would avoid abs and use pvc. Some abs pipes have mould inhibitors in them as they are used for drain pipes. Pvc can be used for drinking water so no additives to plastic. The photo above looks fine but as cost is no different why chance it

Well looks like my idea has been shot down after several attempts to get the lady to accept this challenge. I do appreciate all the help and time you all put into this thread in order to help me out. One day I will get my PMS (lol) and I will come back to this thread with victory!

Thanks again, I will live thru all of your photos..

Well looks like my idea has been shot down after several attempts to get the lady to accept this challenge. I do appreciate all the help and time you all put into this thread in order to help me out. One day I will get my PMS (lol) and I will come back to this thread with victory!

Thanks again, I will live thru all of your photos..

Maybe start with a smaller tank/budget and the wife would get on board? It was hard for my wife to accept me getting into this hobby too. Ultimately she was just concerned about me pushing her out in favor of some activity. Now it's just important that I show her that she's more important than my hobbies (including mantis shrimp/reefing). As long as I can demonstrate my devotion to her, she's usually willing to tolerate my crazy interests, haha. Best of luck to you, Brandon.

Well my girlfriend was fine with me assembling a floor to sealing aquarium rack in our living room so I think I must be fairly lucky :L

Back