WOW, Please be careful!!

At least this article is somewhat accurate... the daily mail blamed the palytoxins on pulsing Xenia!!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As does this one.

"I knew about palytoxin, which can kill you if ingested, and that coral can cause things like rashes if you don't handle it carefully but I had no idea taking the pulsing xenia (coral) out of the water could make the toxin airborne," he said.

It's called palytoxin for a reason. It's not called xeniatoxin.

There has to be more to this. I don’t think scrubbing a rock, unless it was covered with a ton of palys, would release enough toxin into the air to hospitalize 10 and make two dogs sick. Either he boiled the rock and aerosolized the toxin, did it in a shared bathroom or kitchen and burst some onto the counter and didn’t clean up or most of the people were taken to the hospital out of an abundance of caution. He could have pet the dogs without washing his hands or made dinner or something, but it’s not a bomb that will harm people just taking palys out of the tank.

There has to be more to this. I don't think scrubbing a rock, unless it was covered with a ton of palys, would release enough toxin into the air to hospitalize 10 and make two dogs sick. Either he boiled the rock and aerosolized the toxin, did it in a shared bathroom or kitchen and burst some onto the counter and didn't clean up or most of the people were taken to the hospital out of an abundance of caution. He could have pet the dogs without washing his hands or made dinner or something, but it's not a bomb that will harm people just taking palys out of the tank.

Agreed something aint right.. I understand the guy who boiled the rock a couple of years ago and it was airborn

I have had it a few times in the past but not horrible... Once I popped a piece of bubble algae in the middle of paly's and it squirted me in the eye. This was a real long time ago. I got it a little then but not horrible.

There used to be someone I know who has some in a pail of water and the dog drank it and died.

Seen this story in a few places .... doesn't really add up. Been keeping and handling palys for decades with no major adverse reactions. Got a bit of temporary localized neuropathy one time that I attributed to palytoxins, so now I just use gloves and a face shield. Had far worse from my magnifica anemones.

Back