Xenia and zoo growth question

Jmunk

Just got a couple of frags of some zoos and pulsating xenias.

Two questions:

Since my zoo frag isn't completely flush against my rock, how will it be able to grow? Do the frags need to be completely flush against a rock on all sides in order for the coral to grow out? Hopefully you guys can understand what I mean lol.

Second, my pulsating xenias looks like they have full PE, except they're not really, well, pulsating. This LOOKS to me like it's because of the flow, but I have them far away from the powerhead with pretty low flow. Do you have to have them in almost stagnant water for them to pulsate?

Your zoas will spread off the frag over time. I've seen them hang down through open space as much as 1/2" to connect with rockwork below. After a few months you wont see frag bases any longer.
Don't know what to tell you about the xenias. My frags pulsed from day one and spread well. They are in an indirect flow and do sway from it while still pulsing. When they do pulse, you'll know they are pulsing (just like little hands opening and closing.) Mine tend to take a nap once or twice a day for about a half hour. They'll close-up just like a fist. Give yours time to acclimate. There are cases of xenias that quit pulsing but I've never experienced it.

Your zoas will spread off the frag over time. I've seen them hang down through open space as much as 1/2" to connect with rockwork below. After a few months you wont see frag bases any longer.
Don't know what to tell you about the xenias. My frags pulsed from day one and spread well. They are in an indirect flow and do sway from it while still pulsing. When they do pulse, you'll know they are pulsing (just like little hands opening and closing.) Mine tend to take a nap once or twice a day for about a half hour. They'll close-up just like a fist. Give yours time to acclimate. There are cases of xenias that quit pulsing but I've never experienced it.
Hmm, yeah maybe I'll just leave them there for a while and hopefully they'll start pulsating.

Cool that the zoos can do that though!

I had some Xenia that pulsed when I purchased them for about a month, then stopped and never started again. I had them for over a year. They never spread throughout the tank either.

I read somewhere they prefer "dirtier" water. I have no idea what what constitutes dirty water but figured my water must be too clean.

It's near impossible to say exactly how fast something to will grow for someone else. I have some zoas that grow quickly and some slowly. If seen tanks where xenia take over and some where xenia melt away. Generally speaking both tend to spread quickly. As far as when people speak of "dirty" water they are referring to higher nitrate levels or high nutrients tanks (heavy bio-load, heavy feeding, etc...). As far as the truth to that it's pretty highly debated though IMO there's a healthy medium between a completely sterile zeros across the board environment and through the roof nitrates and phosphates. Also the pulsating hasn't been scientifically linked to any one thing. Frankly no one really knows why they pulse. I've seen them pulse in a high flow area I've seen them pulse in low flow and anywhere in between. Mine are somewhere in between and they always pulse.

I read somewhere they prefer "dirtier" water. I have no idea what what constitutes dirty water but figured my water must be too clean.

I had heard that as well but its not my experience. My water is very clean with nitrates averaging 0 and skimmed well. My xenias have grown three-fold in about two months. They pulse constantly and couldn't be more happy. It is however possible that my very clean water is in part attributable to my xenias?

Last edited:
I had heard that as well but its not my experience. My water is very clean with nitrates averaging 0 and skimmed well. My xenias have grown three-fold in about two months. They pulse constantly and couldn't be more happy. It is however possible that my very clean water is in part attributable to my xenias?
Do they pulsate even with flow?

My xenias seem to be being blown around and not pulsating, even though they're fully out. Flow isn't even right on them, they're on the opposite side of the tank from the MP40

My xenias experience moderate and random flow reflected off the glass from a spinstream return outlet above them. They pulse well even if the pumps are off for water change or other work. It is my understanding they will pulse even in high flow but will be less noticeable because of the flow.

Back