xenia

radhs

Hi got a new pumping xenia dont know what variety and its not pulsating.Tank salinity is 1.019,nitrate 1ppm,lighting moderate water flow moderate will attach a picture .Dont know why its not pulsating.I have placed the xenia in the bottom should I move to a higher lighting level.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150213_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20150213_0003.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
Your salinity is very low, for corals it should be in the 1.025 to .026 range. Xenia prefers high light and fairly strong flow, but start by slowly raising your salinity.

Xenia loves pollution, I killed all mine out on a 200 gallon when I lowered my Nitrates to less than one. On the attached 158 gallon I could not run my skimmer otherwise it would not pulse. If you want to ever get rid of it just FW dip the rock it is on and say good bye

My xenia pulses and keeps growing with 0 nitrates. It is so full looking it's awesome. Unfortunately, it will have to go soon due to being too invasive.

Thanks all for your reply,I have started increasing the salinity level ,but what about other corals I do have all soft corals only.
Tank size:4*3*2 ,with reef octopus skimmer and one Maxspect lazer led lights.1Sicce wave maker with a 150litres sump tank.
Mushrooms,green star polyps,clove polyp,leather coral,clams,torch coral and some more daisy coral.
2black clowns,2percula clowns 1blue damsel,coral beauty angel and one brown
2 shrimps and one blenny.
Have attracted a picture comments welcomed.

Attachments

• WP_20150215_002.jpg
    WP_20150215_002.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Ph

Ph

I tried to increase the salinity but The Ph increased upto 8.4 and my shrimps died and some corals got shrinked .Dont know what to do.

I wouldn't put Xenia in your tank unless you want it to take over and spread like wildfire. It's very hard to get rid of when it gets to that point. Just my opinion. I put it in my last tank and it was one of my biggest mistakes because it took over and started chocking out other corals. It can even spread from one end of the tank to the other without touching the rock.

How fast did you raise your salinity? even though yours is very low for a reef tank you still have to make changes very slowly so they can adjust. I'd probably do 0.001-0.002 salinity change/day max untill you get to 1.025-6. You can do this gradualy by adding a weak salt mix to your ATO and just track your salinity daily. the less consentrated the ATO water, the slower the change in salinity of the tank.

Hi all again made a mistake with drastically uncreasing the salinity by adding more salt and the Ph and salinity went very high.Now having made water changes the salinity has come to 1.020 but the Ph is still on higher side like 8.4 .How to reduce the pH and can I use JBL pH minis to lower pH.

Back