XR-15 G6 Pro or XR-30 G6 Pro?

bee144

I was going to go with a 18x20x19” (LxWxH) tank so a XR-15 Pro G6 should have been perfect.

I have since changed plans to go with a 30x24x17 tank and I feel this is pushing the limits of the XR-15? At the same time, it’s a shallow tank.

I’m looking to do SPS but also looking to have a 2.5” buffer between LR/coral and the glass on each side.

I got the XR-15 on cyber Monday deal at 10% off so upgrading to the XR-30 means the hassle of making a return, paying double the price for the bigger light, and losing out on the 10% holiday code.

Ecotech’s website: “Perfect for tanks 24-30 inches wide and deep. Comprehensive spectrum and performance.” But not sure if you pros have an opinion.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So I have no personal experience with the radions but when I look at LED I look at it the smallest width as the max width due to potential shading. With that said, I’d go for the XR30 but if it’s not a rush, could wait til the next sale. Could be a Christmas or new years sale

So I have no personal experience with the radions but when I look at LED I look at it the smallest width as the max width due to potential shading. With that said, I’d go for the XR30 but if it’s not a rush, could wait til the next sale. Could be a Christmas or new years sale
That’s good thinking. I guess I’ll go ahead with the return as my tank will be cycling and I’m doing the BRS hybrid method so it’ll be 2.5 months till fish arrive. If no sales by Jan 1, I’ll bite the bullet.

I'd do 2 XR-15s. My 24" cube is pushing the lateral limits of my XR-15 and I'd buy another one before I ditched it and bought a 30. BRS has a pretty good video showing where a pair of 15s beat out a singel 30, and where you need to jump to the 30s. My 15 is enough for my 24" cube, but the edges are definitely getting a lot less PAR than the middle 2/3. You can dial back intensity to fit the tank depth. You can't dial up the spread to fit the width.

EDIT: Mine's a G5.

I was sooo bummed when I had found the BRS clearance on them and they were all sold out within hours.
AHHHH !

Back