Another new big tank build

I am back in the planning phase for my next big tank and after taking a few years off from the hobby and moving down to Florida, much has changed. I'm planning a 10' to 12' tank that is 30" to 36" deep as of right now that will be built into the new house build. I wanted to go with Metal Halide lights but it seems they are very hard to come by now and nobody is carrying them anymore. What is the best option for lighting for 30" to 36" deep, mostly LPS and SPS corals? I had the XR-30 Pro G4 in my last 30" deep tank and they did not perform like I would have liked. Thanks in advance and sorry to beat a dead horse if this is asked a million times.

Last edited:
I have made multiple calls to Hamilton Technology to speak with them about the future of them, but it only goes to voicemail saying they are temporarily closed. Might be a sign!
Even finding MH street lighting and commercial lighting for potential retrofit with “reef temperature” bulbs is increasingly difficult. LEDs can certainly work, even if it’s DIY with narrow lenses for the deep tanks.

I have 6 of these (brand new) I’d be willing to sell - Coralvue Low Profile Parabolic Spider Metal Halide Reflector

Only issue is you’d definitely need a canopy or similar to retrofit them in. They take up to 1000W single ended bulbs, so just a matter of finding bulbs and ballasts (bulbs are harder). Radium’s even harder as they’ve been discontinued so finding stock will be difficult.

That said, bulbs are definitely out there it’s just finding them.

With regards to LED, lighting something like that, I’d look at a panel style LED such as the ReefBreeders Photon V2 Pro (I have their Pico LED on my coral quarantine) or coming soon is the ReefBreedes Meridian. Adam at BattleCorals uses ReefBreeders for his tanks that use LED. Other options could be the ATI Straton, Neptune Sky (not a fan personally but it’s an option), Phillips CoralCare or similar. Only big issue you’ll hit is cost as it’ll likely take a good amount of any of them to light a 10-12’ tank. I’m also not sure what par you’d be at at those depths (just haven’t researched it).

As for reefsupplies.ca that @kharmaguru mentioned. Definitely a decent site and cheap shipping to the US, however, return shipping is on you if there’s an issue, and it’s kinda pricey.

I’m also semi-local to Aquatic Technology. So if they have something you like but shipping is a killer or something, I can see what I can do for you.

I have 6 of these (brand new) I’d be willing to sell - Coralvue Low Profile Parabolic Spider Metal Halide Reflector

Only issue is you’d definitely need a canopy or similar to retrofit them in. They take up to 1000W single ended bulbs, so just a matter of finding bulbs and ballasts (bulbs are harder). Radium’s even harder as they’ve been discontinued so finding stock will be difficult.

That said, bulbs are definitely out there it’s just finding them.

With regards to LED, lighting something like that, I’d look at a panel style LED such as the ReefBreeders Photon V2 Pro (I have their Pico LED on my coral quarantine) or coming soon is the ReefBreedes Meridian. Adam at BattleCorals uses ReefBreeders for his tanks that use LED. Other options could be the ATI Straton, Neptune Sky (not a fan personally but it’s an option), Phillips CoralCare or similar. Only big issue you’ll hit is cost as it’ll likely take a good amount of any of them to light a 10-12’ tank. I’m also not sure what par you’d be at at those depths (just haven’t researched it).

As for reefsupplies.ca that @kharmaguru mentioned. Definitely a decent site and cheap shipping to the US, however, return shipping is on you if there’s an issue, and it’s kinda pricey.

I’m also semi-local to Aquatic Technology. So if they have something you like but shipping is a killer or something, I can see what I can do for you.
I appreciate the offer. I think it might be in my best interest $ wise, to just go with an LED light and not have to worry about not being able to find replacement parts and bulbs in a few years and have to start all over again with new lights. As much as I would love to use the MH, pricing out new MH lights that I can find remaining are just as expensive as the newest LED lighting now.

You may want to look at the Kessil a500x's if you want the metal halide look in a LED. They are very powerful and give off a nice shimmer similar to a metal halide.

Maxspect 150w 10,000K LED Flood Light​

MaxspectFlood1.jpg

Maxspect Commercial LED Floodlight
These LED floodlights are intended for commercial use like in public aquariums, horticulture, hydroponics
Available in 150w, 300w, 500w, 1000w
Maxspect 150w 10,000K LED Flood Light
They come in 14k too

Orphek Amazonas

Amazonas 320 Aquarium LED Lighting
Orphek-amazonas-320-public-aquarium-led-lighting-copia-1588x1060.jpg

Amazonas 500 Aquarium LED Lighting​

orphek-amazonas-500-watt-public-aquarium-led-lighting-scaled-e1681066630928-1589x1060.jpg

It is a mistake to think that lights, pumps, skimmers and everything else for small tanks are going to do what you want on a big one.

Orphek Amazonas

Amazonas 320 Aquarium LED Lighting
Orphek-amazonas-320-public-aquarium-led-lighting-copia-1588x1060.jpg

Amazonas 500 Aquarium LED Lighting​

orphek-amazonas-500-watt-public-aquarium-led-lighting-scaled-e1681066630928-1589x1060.jpg

It is a mistake to think that lights, pumps, skimmers and everything else for small tanks are going to do what you want on a big one.
Thank you, I had never seen these before. They look like a great option.

I was using MH and some broke. The difficulty and scarcity of parts convinced me to swap to LED.
But my tank is only 24 inches deep. Multiple small lights worked out fine for me.
No bulb changes is very nice.

Back