yellowing clown

James BE

I got my pair of clowns at the weekend and one of them was a little lighter orange than the other in the store but now he is a full blown yellow colour still eating normally etc but just a little worried all my tank params are 0 ph is 8.2 theres a torch coral 2 trumpet corals and a toadstool leather tank mates are 5 green chromis. Any Ideas? Shal I do anything?

he has gone back to the same orange as the other one now cant figure out whats going on with em. if he goes yellow again I will grab a pic of him for ya

stress perhaps??mooddy female? my wife changes color when she is angry.......although she usually gets darker instead of lighter

Soem clowns are naturally yellow...what species before we can figure anything out? I'll assume perc or ocell? Stressing can cause color changes in fish...it is really prevalent with the signus genus who get their nighttime colors which are the same as when they get stressed. Was the lighting the same when you saw the differences in color(no dusk compared with day, right)? Lighting can change colors of fish too. What are you feeding?

Also, were they both from the same place? Were they both aquacultured, one AC one WC, or both wild caught. I've noticed ORA percs when they come in are a yellowish orange and when they grow in a tank they take on the nice dark orange color we all know and love.

the lfs wasnt sure im pretty sure they are aquacultured though from their behaviour the little guy goes really pale after a few hours of darkness but seems ok when the lights are on. they are getting a mix of flake and frmula 2 pellet at the moment.

formula 2 does not have the proper source of nutrients for an omnivore like the clownfish. Formula one, on the other hand, was specifically made for clownfish. Also, feed a meaty meal once in a while to help with their coloration(add garlic extreme and selcon for immunity, color, and overall health).

What kind of flakes?

Oh, it's easiest and cheapest just to make your froxen foods yourself. Go to a quality grocery store and buy seafoods from their counter. Freeze them, grate them, refreeze them, repeat as necessary to get the correct size of food for them. Another solution is to go to your LFS and get some of those prepackaged foods, but they many times cost more, give you less food, and are not even of the quality you find in the grocery store. Also, with your own mixtures, you can pre-dose them food with nutrients(selcon and garlic, whatever else you like) before finishing the product and this gives it more time to soak into the meats. Also, this creates less work when preparing their foods every night.

will go with your idea then what particular things from the store should i be looking for then prawns garlic or just a garlic oil etc

Back