Yet another Sohal Tang compatibility thread

Tristanfowlr

age old question I know... and the answer is usually no...but here we go haha

Does a sohal work and when should I add it? I know there reputation and was always under the impression that I will add them last and get them small to try and avoid that aggression. However I have read they are less aggressive if they are the biggest in the tank. This won't work with my stockist however as I'm having some extremely big fish. Main concerns is if there will be aggression between it and an emperor angel and also towards my sharks/ rays. The tank is 8x1000x2.5 and is 800 gallons total volume including growout/sump volume.

Here is the list of fish I am looking at:

Lined sweetlip
Slingjaw Wrasse
Barra Cod
Threadfin Snapper
3x Lookdown
Miniata cod
Cheeklined maori wrasse
Sohal Tang
Emperor Angel
Whitemouth Moray
Mask Ray
Ribbontail Ray
Bluegrey Carpet Shark.

So when should I add it and what size should it be? All these fish should be able to hold their own just fine except for the sharks/ rays.

Thanks, I know there was a lot of questions there haha!

The fish could work in the tank I suppose but it will more than likely attack you when you reach in the tank when it reaches a certain size. Also may decide to kill some fish one day too

Sounds like a pretty sweet tank. I don't know much about the tang, however that carpetshark is benthic, as are the rays. You've got some hard to acquire sharks and rays on there, in addition you've mixed them with an angel - angels, some wrasses, and even tangs are known to eat the eyes out of sharks. I wouldn't risk it, especially with rare animals like that.

Thanks everyone for the info!

@MonsterFishBook yer the angel is definately one to watch out for me, the sharks/ rays are going to be introduced early and the angel will then be introduced small... Have heard of it working sometimes and not others but thankfully the way the tank is set up, if i ever notice any agression i can chuck the angel straight into the growout tank.

@Mistborn the miniata seem to be fairly chill providing enough tank space/ appropriate tank space

Still not sure when is best to get them.... Should i get a juvenile now before adding the various other fish or shall i go for adding it as my very last fish?

Back