Your thoughts on using UV?

sinful

I'm curious how many people are using UV on here? I'm considering purchasing an emperor aquatics 18 or 25w to put on my tank. My main purpose would be to try and combat dino. I do not keep much coral so I'm not to worried about the negative effects.

How many of ya'll use UV? Use UV in a reef? Any recommendations? Any local stores you know that keep emperor aquatics on their shelves?

57g gallon. From what I've read the emperor aquatics under rated the units based off a 50% bulb too. 18w is rated to 60g. Maybe best bet is the 25w but I'm somewhat limited on space.l

The 200 gallon reef I'm building at work has a UV sterilizer on it as a "just in case" and has not been used. If we run into a problem with pelagic algaes it will be turned on but otherwise it's just sitting in the mix of plumbing.

I'm curious how many people are using UV on here? I'm considering purchasing an emperor aquatics 18 or 25w to put on my tank. My main purpose would be to try and combat dino. I do not keep much coral so I'm not to worried about the negative effects.

How many of ya'll use UV? Use UV in a reef? Any recommendations? Any local stores you know that keep emperor aquatics on their shelves?

I did the exact same thing about a month or so ago, had no noticeable effect, I have the turbo twist 18w on a 90, this would be underrated but I didn't want to invest in something that from what I read, was unlikely to work on cyno.
However on a happier note, I turned off my pellet reactor and walla! after battling this crap for about 8 months within 6 days has disappeared almost completely.
I am not sure if you are also running some form of carbon dosing, but if you are.................
I am going to let this run its course for a bit longer and then start the pellets back up, restarting them slowly and ramping back up. But it was a dam good feeling to actually be able to make them go away. Apparently I'm doing something incorrectly with the pellets, but I now have a direction.

I almost think biopllets caused my Dino to be honest. Not directly, but biopellets without a doubt cleared my tank of any and all algae. From what I read that's how Dino is able to survive. I literally have no algae. Maybe a fuge would be the best bet who know.

I did however order the UV today. I'll keep my Dino thread updated.

The 200 gallon reef I'm building at work has a UV sterilizer on it as a "just in case" and has not been used. If we run into a problem with pelagic algaes it will be turned on but otherwise it's just sitting in the mix of plumbing.

That's what I am doing as well.

Back