Zoa Size Question

RevHtree

Why is it that some zoanthids are so tiny? Is it a tank issue, or are there certain types that are just tiny? I have seen some of the same zoas in different tanks and they be double the size in one than in the other. What gives?

I feel there are certainly differences in size amongst species, but flow, lighting and other conditions can affect polyp size. I have some zoas the size of nickels or larger, while others stay the size of a pencil eraser.

Well if we are talking about the same zoas being different polyp sizes. IME the lighing and flow really seem to make a difference in polyp size. The highter the lighting seems to be smaller polyps. The lower lighting seems that they polyps get a little bigger and stems stretch a bit more... Also seems like higher flow produces a little bigger polyp size. I haven't really thought to much about this but that's just what I've noticed.

If lower lighting makes the polyp larger and taller, is it possible that there is some strain going on? I am not an experienced zoa keeper, only a couple months, but I would imagine it would be best to find a happy medium for each zoa colony in your tank.

Back