Zoanthid Colors

Kinetic

How do zoanthids color up? Are their special colors due to the zooxanthellae they carry? could they ever change color if grouped with other colored zoanthids that could somehow inherit some other colored zooxanthellae?

It is due to their zooxanthelle, but I'm only aware of them "changing colors" due to the lighting conditions. They won't go from blue to red, but colors will intensify or dull out depending on lighting and position in tank.

I call this my morphing rock. The yellow/green skirt, orange centered oral disc zoas all started the same color. As you can see, most have picked up the ring inside the skirt (used to look more like dragon eyes). However, I've had a few turn tie dyed with about five colors swirled int eh oral disc and Ive had a few look like the copper rings (you can see one of these in this pick). I had them at the bottom of the tank when all of the morphing started and can't explain the color differences. There was a discussion on this very subject a few months back. I don't know how/if it is scientifically possible, but it sure seems like some zoas uptake other colors (though not common). In the case of the rock shown, all zoas would be getting the same lighting and current, as it is one rock... I need to check back with awcurl to see if his injection idea ever panned out...

i heard about the injection method.

Is there a general rule of morhing according to lighting? Say I put more wattage with same kevlin rating, how would colors change. Or if different spectrum (kelvin) but same wattage?

thanks

there are no rules, and i don't believe that it is solely lighting, flow and alkalinity also play a role imo.

I have some orange centered zoas next to some lime green centered ones and the ones that grew in between them have the orange mouth and the green from the other zoas speckled all around the orange mouth. The skirt is the same as the green ones and so is the size(the oranges are half the size). I love the new colored ones, but don't really have enough to frag and see if they would spread in the new color or go back to being green or orange.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7112592#post7112592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
there are no rules, and i don't believe that it is solely lighting, flow and alkalinity also play a role imo.

I totally agree with you Twon.;)
Just like SPS, if your alk is high and stable, you'll get some really intense coloration from your zoas.
I like to think of flow as your circulatory system. You don't want too high or too low pressure. A good strong and steady flow is all it takes.

Here's a shot of my green/orange zoas...
111623Green_Orange_Morph-med.JPG

Sorry it's so blue, I only had my actinics on.
Anyway, you can see the "hybrid" on the right side. The green speckle around the orange mouth is the same green as the green mouth of the ones on the left. The new coloration is very nice.

ah, you need to change your white balance to compensate for the blues =(

this is my zoos under 55watts of actinics:

pink_rings.jpg

fireandice.jpg

as long as your white balance is set, you can get the craziest colors especially under actinics

Back