Zoanthids Still Not Opening

BaleKlocoon

Follow link for picture. I'd like to eliminate lighting as a potential reason for my zoanthids not opening. I have a Maxspect Razor X R5 300 W (for the past 3 days) that is ~6.5" above the water surface, and my zoanthids are ~8" below the water surface. Any recommendation on intensity percentages for my 4 light channels? Or recommendation on moving my zoanthids up or down in the tank (moving lights up or down is not an option)? Right now, at peak intensity, I am doing 30% A, 65% B, 65% C, and 40% D. I mainly settled on that because I like the way it looks at that ratio, and someone told me in my previous thread that Zoas don't like white light too much. Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt7kl1tfsngmknl/Zoanthids.jpg?dl=0

LED Specifications:

Total Number of LEDs - 120

Number of Clusters - 6

LEDs per Cluster:

1x Violet (390-395nm)

1x Violet (400-405nm)

1x Violet (410-415nm)

1x Deep Blue (440-445nm)

6x Royal Blue (450-455nm)

4x Cool Blue (470-475nm)

1x Cyan (500-505nm)

2x Cool White (6500K)

2x Warm White (3000K)

1x Deep Red (660-665nm)

Four Programmable Channels

Channel A - Roayl Blue & Cool White

Channel B - Royal Blue & Light Blue

Channel C - Deep Blue & Violet

Channel D - Deep Red, Cyan, & Warm White

I really never get into this overly detailed LED light analysis because its really just well.. overly detailed BS and really no one as the brain computing power to give you anything more than a guess..

but to me..
zoas don't really need much light.. a 300W fixture at nearly 50% power on average only ~14" away is quite a bit of light... (but they can certainly be worked up to that much light without issue)

Looks like the zoas are on their own movable rock..
Put that rock on the sand for the next few days..
See how they do.. If they don't open.. Its not the light..
Plain and simple..

Thanks for the advice. Can I achieve the same thing by turning the light intensity down instead of moving the Zoanthids? My only other coral in the tank is a Doncan and it seems happy no matter what I do with the lights.

PS, putting the Zoa's rock directly on the sand is not an option because my Goby will bury them. But I can certainly move them much lower in the tank.

yes you can certainly turn the lights down too but at some point you need to learn to properly acclimate corals to the lights and starting them low (doesn't necessarily have to be on the sand bed exactly) then moving them up over the course of a few weeks or so is whats typically done if needed..

I wouldn't adjust the lights unless thats not the setting you intend on keeping them at.

I really never get into this overly detailed LED light analysis because its really just well.. overly detailed BS and really no one as the brain computing power to give you anything more than a guess..

but to me..
zoas don't really need much light.. a 300W fixture at nearly 50% power on average only ~14" away is quite a bit of light... (but they can certainly be worked up to that much light without issue)

Looks like the zoas are on their own movable rock..
Put that rock on the sand for the next few days..
See how they do.. If they don't open.. Its not the light..
Plain and simple..

^^^^^^above^^^^^^^
Always start low
Mine are 14 inches from only 165w running just less than half power.
How long have you had these, is that 3 days...

How long have you had the zoas?

Did you dip prior to introducing the zoas?

If it's not the lights, could be some sort of pest.

I had the same problem with a frag of utter chaos that was closed for 2 weeks straight and decreased in size significantly.

Another member suggested doing a dip even if you don't see any signs of pest because it can be an internal pest.

If it's not a pest, at least that eliminates one factor that can be contributing to it not opening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it. They did start low in the tank and I gradually moved them up. They looked great for about a month and then started closing up. I just got the new light a few days ago thinking that the super old black box LED's might have been the problem. They are getting about the same wattage they were getting from the black box LED's today, but on day 1 of the new lights they were getting half that.

I'll try moving them to the bottom. Certainly can't hurt.

Back