Zoas closed still.

timnem70

25 cube. 30 gallon ADHI sump the Lighting is the l same as when they were first introduced. Alk. Is consistent at 8.5-9.5 Ca is 480. Mag. Is high and has never fallen and stays at 1490.
Phospahates are detectable(.35) with Hannah and Salifert, not high, same with Nitrates. Reverse lighting on sump amd 9 hr photo period exposure in DT with a SB reef light 16" elite.
As I said, when I got the zoa colonies they were beautiful and open. I have moved them once or twice to see if it makes tje difference. Now very few of them open. They are not "melting or disssapearing" just not opening. I don't run carbon or dose a media source. I just have a nitrate reducing filter pad just put in due to a bacterial bloom, and excellent Macro growth to deal with it and Phos. Can certain strains of Macro be harmful to Zoas? I have several varieties of it and zoas. Please help.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Funny, I have almost the same issue. One thing I have noticed in the past is that zoas can take up to two weeks to settle in to my system and open up. Don't have the foggiest idea why, but they do eventually open up for me. BTW, .39 phosphate sounds really high to me. I try to keep my phosphate between 0.03 and 0.10 tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have since recovered and look beautiful. Guess just needed to kind of acclimate or reacclimate as it were. Thanks for response. I have also tested the last week or two since the "recovery" and have tried to emmulate those parameters as closely as possible.
a4ee3c319b951ad1ab8bd627e79bb73a.jpg

I moved the Duncan at right center from the right side near those half dollar sized Palys stung the crap out of the rear of it. Itll grow back but can I just wear double gloves and take a scalpel to them right off the rocks?

Which ones do you want to remove from the rocks? I'm seeing something to the right of those big Protopalythoas on the left, but is that a Duncan? :confused:

Far left. Up on the rocks. What I believe are some Texas trash and get huge, quickly. Yes, the green coral is a dumcan.

Back