zooanthids not growing at all

stan80

Have a couple of diff colonies of zooanthids for 8 month's now and there
not growing at all...my phospates and nitrates are very very low is this the reason??

Well it might be the lighting.. what kinda lights do you have?

I got one aquabeam 600 led strip 12 watt 18,000k , one aquabeam 600 led strip 12 watt 14,000 k and one 13 watt t2 blue bulb and one 11 watt 6500 k bulb...50 gallon aquarium with 30 gallon sump approx water volume 60 gallons. My leather coral is growing very fast and lps favite is doing good too...oddly the zoes and mushrooms arent

I got one aquabeam 600 led strip 12 watt 18,000k , one aquabeam 600 led strip 12 watt 14,000 k and one 13 watt t2 blue bulb and one 11 watt 6500 k bulb...50 gallon aquarium with 30 gallon sump approx water volume 60 gallons. My leather coral is growing very fast and lps favite is doing good too...oddly the zoes and mushrooms arent
What about the placement? Did you consider that? If they're not growing then there might be too much flow..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ive moved them some but no not alot...Overall flow is about 40 gph. They are located well under the powerheads

No growth for 8 months?
Another LED problem... Get some good t5s over that tank to start with. :thumbsup:
Grandis.

No problem growing zoas for me under LED, but im at 100w on a 55g you look to be around 67w.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What do you think it could be then?

It could really be a light problem.
But if not.. there are also many other things too look for.
You should write a text with all the info people normally post so people could try to help you better.:thumbsup:

Grandis.

No growth for 8 months?
Another LED problem... Get some good t5s over that tank to start with. :thumbsup:
Grandis.

Im not saying its not lighting for the op. You made a blanket statment about LED. Some of us have no problems growing under LED.
I do think the op is low on his wattage total for lights.

Im not saying its not lighting for the op. You made a blanket statment about LED. Some of us have no problems growing under LED.
I do think the op is low on his wattage total for lights.

Well, let him say for himself then.
It was a "blank statement"! You're right.
That's because I'm tired of seeing too many people with LED problems. LEDs aren't still for reef aquaria IMO. Not for the long run!!

His problem CAN really be the LEDs yes!
What if that's the only problem?:dance:

Grandis.

hes always bashing leds...lol....i have no problems with led and zoas mine are growing great with leds.........just saying.......

Good luck in the long run, my friend.
watch out... if you post anything wrong with your system I would say the LEDs are the problem.

... Then you're going to be bashing them!! Haha!!!
:hammer:

Grandis.

Stan, nowadays I tend to look into lighting the system first before I see anything else wrong. Most times I loose my time trying to identify wrong things in the water chemistry, pathogens, and other areas when the LED light is the problem.

People really thing those LEDs are OK to use over a reef tank for long periods of time. You can, but sometimes, depending on the system you'll have what's going on with you... Out of nothing. Many reports like yours...

Like I said before...
you'll need to post everything about your system so people can help you out.

I'll aways recommend T5s instead LEDs simply because more and more people are coming to realize the negative side of those LED systems. I'm tired of it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2603527

Grandis.

Well, let him say for himself then.
It was a "blank statement"! You're right.
That's because I'm tired of seeing too many people with LED problems. LEDs aren't still for reef aquaria IMO. Not for the long run!!

His problem CAN really be the LEDs yes!
What if that's the only problem?:dance:

Grandis.

Im not sure what you want him to say for him self. Does he have low par maybe we dont know.

Im not sure why your stuck on "it can be his lights", no one said it wasnt a light problem.

Lets focus on his low light problem not your LED bashing.

I took three zoa polyps and they have grown into 20 in 6 months.

To the op, i hope you find helpful answers. I think its a mix of light and not enough food for them, as in bio load not actual feeding.

I dont have much more than a year in this hobby but have learned most coral have to adjust and be happy to start growing. Then its usually a sudden burst.

Im not sure what you want him to say for him self. Does he have low par maybe we dont know.

Im not sure why your stuck on "it can be his lights", no one said it wasnt a light problem.

Lets focus on his low light problem not your LED bashing.

I took three zoa polyps and they have grown into 20 in 6 months.

To the op, i hope you find helpful answers. I think its a mix of light and not enough food for them, as in bio load not actual feeding.

I dont have much more than a year in this hobby but have learned most coral have to adjust and be happy to start growing. Then its usually a sudden burst.

Well, I'm sure you'll be greater help then me with LEDs!
You help him please, would you? :thumbsup:

Grandis.

I would be glad to help another reefer.

Stan80, your low nitrates could be the problem, direct flow could be a problem, lights could be a problem, the answer to your original question is it could be, but you havent given us alot of information to go off of.

Back