Zoo's

BLUE OASIS

I just posted this under another forum & figured it should have went in here. OUr question is we have a friend who glued his Zoo's to the back glass of his tank and now the entire glass is covered in Zoo's.

We feel this was not a good idea, but would like to hear what you have to say.

G & T

Yepp, I'm in the process of doing just that. I think it's look way too kewl. Can you post a pic of what it looks like?

i ask this in a polite and meaningful way (too easy to misread when you type, heh!): why do you think it's a bad idea?

i've read some people doing this and one concern is that the mat could trap detritus and what not. especially if done as a zoa floor where things tend to settle. i'd think it would be less of an issue on the back wall though.

a lot of us turkey-baste our zoas to prevent this buildup which might be a constant battle if your entire floor was zoanthids. but again - not sure on the back wall.

on the plus side, it would be really easy to frag those zoas (if they are within reach). a razor blade cut to separate the frag followed by a razor blade scraping of the glass, boom-badda-bing, a frag! :D

I am sorry I guess when I said this not be a good idea I should have explaind myself a little better.

Was wondering if there would be any draw backs to doing this. I see by the rest of the answers in here that is not a bad idea and some of you are in the process of doing this now.

I also thought it was a great idea, but before I started to gue the Zoo's I wanted to make sure it was a good idea.

Sorry, if I used the incorrect wording in my statement.

I agree, it's a great idea!
Just like whoda said, when it comes time for a frag, slice and dice, instant frags. Plus fragging will help promote growth.
If you're wise, you'll place colorful zoas on there so the frags help pay for the expense of growing them out.;)

Pictures!

I've seen people do this on powerheads, PVC and overflows. They all looked great! I think I may try it in my tank.

Here are some potential problems.

1). When you want to frag those zoas you will have to do it in your tank so you will expose your system to a lot of zoa chemical warfare.
- You can overcome this issue by placing a rock against the back wall and allow your zoas to attach to the rock.

2.) You have a big stinging wall. I don't remember how bad their sting is in comparison to other corals.

3.) When you do water changes you will expose some zoas to air which may cause them to excrete toxins.

I don't think these issues are that big a deal so let's see some pictures when you get a chance.

i've seen people try things like this, but with not much luck. i dont see any related problems though.

if someone has pics of zoas on back/side glass, on overflows, PVC etc, by all means please share some pics with us! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6920473#post6920473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ficklefins

3.) When you do water changes you will expose some zoas to air which may cause them to excrete toxins.

interesting...

:confused: :confused:

aren't zoas a low tide coral? they are exposed to air all of the time in the ocean, for hours at a time in direct sunlight. people even ship them with just damp newspaper/papertowels with great success. if they secrete toxins when they are exposed to air...wouldnt the survivability as a low tide coral be contradictory? :confused:

not disagreeing with you, it just sounds odd :confused:

This was unintentional but believe it or not this is my heater and it still works :D

2006_0123zoas0007.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6922160#post6922160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whodah
interesting...

I wasn't trying to suggest that whenever they are exposed to air they will become defensive and excrete toxins. Just that it is more likely to happen when they are exposed because they are already being stressed. My zoas are exposed to the air with every water change I do, but they only get mad when I bump them or something like that.

Sorry for the confusion.

This sounds awesome, I am new to hobbie, what kind of glue do u guys use, anyone of frags, please pm me, I want to start a nice collection, thanks

A friend of mine had a huge section on the back wall of his tank covered in zoos, they did quite well. The zoos were easy to frag. Water changes didn't appear to pose a problem, the zoos just closed up, and quickly after the water was at the correct level the zoos opened up.

I guess one of the main downsides for him was when he decided to get a bigger tank, there was a lot of scraping to do, LOL.

I plan to attach a few to the back of my tank, especially once space becomes an issue.

Back