1/2" pipe.....will it be enough?

Kaos

"Lurker"
I'm thinking of installing 1/2" pipe for my overflows and closed loop on my 20L project. The overflow will consist of a Calfo style overflow w/ 2 half inch pipes running to the sump (I may run them to a tee and then run 3/4" from the tee to sump). I plan on having a return pump of no more then 160gph. For my closed loop I hope to use 1/2" for also. That will not be more then 350gph.

So, for the gph I want to run through it, will the 1/2" pipe handle it? TIA.

The 1/2" thinwall pvc to 3/4" thinwall pvc should be fine. If you're talking about 1/2" cpvc, that stuff is really small.

I'm not really sure what I looked at. I was just planning on using regular plumbing pipe and fittings from Lowe's.

I like to use schedule 40 regular pvc (fairly thick walled). I just converted my 18g to a 29g system with 10g sump. For the overflow, I used 1 inch pvc. That is the size of the bulkhead output on my overflow. I used 1/2inch for the return line and I have a little over 200gph flow. I figured, bigger was better for the overflow, although it is a bit loud. I think that 3/4 inch might have been better. At the bottom of my overflow pipe, there are two 90 degree elbows, so that could be the source of some of my noise.

Also, you guys are refering to inside diameter of the pipe. Correct? cpvc 1/2 inch sould have the same inner diameter as the thin schedule 20 1/2 pipes... correct?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8134207#post8134207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aclos3
Also, you guys are refering to inside diameter of the pipe. Correct? cpvc 1/2 inch sould have the same inner diameter as the thin schedule 20 1/2 pipes... correct?
Nope, they are different.

Back