1/21/17 Mike Paletta Meetings

The Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium society would like to invite you, members and non-members alike to attend our first meeting of 2017 with our special quest and speaker Author Mike Paletta. Mike will be doing a presentation entitled Common Sense and Controversies in Reef Keeping. The meeting starts at 5pm and will be at Elmer's Aquarium. Please see our website for more information www.pmasi.com

Michael Paletta has been keeping marine aquariums since 1980 and reef tanks since 1985. During the past 30 years he has written hundreds of articles on marine fish and invertebrates in both the US and Europe. His books include, "The Modern Marine Aquarium," “The New Marine Aquarium” "Ultimate Reefs". Michael has enjoyed speaking at over 100 marine societies and national conferences in North America, Canada, and Europe.

He has helped in the set up of over 120 tanks throughout the U.S, including several tanks over 2,000 gallons in capacity. Michael also acted as a consultant with the National Aquarium in Baltimore and the Pittsburgh Zoo Aquarium. Michael has B.S. from Dickinson College and a Master's degree from Yale.

January 21st – Michael Paletta – Common Sense and Controversies in Reef Keeping
February 18th John Kovacs – Reef Tank Photography
March 18th Todd Gardner
April 15th Coral Fragging Workshop and Raffle

Nice, It should certainly be a good meeting to catch. The coral fragging workshop is also going to be awesome. I've been in touch with an old member who works for Walt Smith in Fiji about sending us a shipment for that purpose.

Nice lineup for the first 4 months. I just moved back to the burgh from SC. I'll have to check out the meeting on the 21st. Any info on joining? Do you do much frag swapping?

Nice lineup for the first 4 months. I just moved back to the burgh from SC. I'll have to check out the meeting on the 21st. Any info on joining? Do you do much frag swapping?

Hey man. You can find more info on our web site www.pmasi.com. Membership is $30 for the year and includes members only raffles at every meeting, paid for trip to the LEAR frag swap, you can borrow from our library, get discounts at the stores, you can take part in our frag bank program, come to all the meetings, picnic, pgh aquarium trip, blah blah blah.

What do you mean by frag swapping? The club pays for the members to go to LEAR, but members usually car pool to other nearby swaps as well. We will be having our annual swap starting April 2018. As far as sharing frags amongst ourselves, yes there is allot of that going on. If you have any questions let me know.

Cool, I'll be joining. I used to go up to Charlotte for a few of their meetings and they had a thread for each meeting. Members would post what frags they had available and members would claim them if they wanted them. Some actual trading but mostly frags at really good prices. I bought a 180g setup from craigslist that was up and running as a softy tank with a 2 montis. I'm turning it into an sps dominant reef so just looking for some acro frags.

Some frags are also brought to and donated to club for the raffle that happens at the end of each meeting.

Back