1 MP10 enough or no..

asl4me76

I currently have a 40gal breeder set up. I currently have only a Vortech MP10 on the system. Mainly, it will be an SPS system with a few LPS and Zoa's in the system. Now, I was wondering if one MP10 would be enough flow in the system? Now, with the setting on my vortech (Lagoon) mode, I am getting plenty of movement with no problems at the moment as everything is swaying back and forth with no problems at all.

Thought I'd get more information.

I think you need at least 2 in order to achieve good circulation and in order to avoid any dead spots.
You can place 1 at each end of your display.

What other water movement do you have? The MP10 moves up to something like 1600 gallons/hour- almost 40x turnover on your tank.
If you have a return pump you can angle the returns to where you think there could possibly be dead spots. But I doubt if you have any . I have a MP40 on my 90 (reef crest mode) and I would be willing to bet there is not a cubic inch in the tank without water movement. The thing has been worth every penny.
Save your money and get something else.

i run two mp10s in my 40g breeder. one at each end...on reefcrest mode.
great waves for sps:fun4:

Nice tank! Honestly, IMO, you have plenty of flow, for the time being anyway. Even with the head pressure loss I would think your return is moving about 400gph. So you have upwards of 50x turnover in your tank. And you have the return aimed at the opposite wall, so you are getting random currents. Enough for any sps. Buy something else, stock your tank with that MP10 money. Down the road when all that stuff really starts to fill in your tank, then you may need to add more flow.

Thanks, I appreciate it Tige! I definitely appreciate the kind words you said about the tank. Yea, I added some stuff yesterday. My wife is finally getting into the hobby or showing some interest. She enjoys the zoa's, which are nice and she's got some good tastes for sure. When things get much bigger, then most definitely I will add another MP10, but like you said .. I get plenty of flow. I took a video on my phone of the tank. Here's the link for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jdbHoy9FPw

ive got one coupled with my return on the opposite side. It does a good job with my minimally scaped tank, ill defininetly need to add another one or a mp20 once things start filling out, keep the future in mind.

Back