10 Gallon Contest Tank

Ursus

This is a tank I am setting up for a local nano contest my club has set up.

I'm not sure what types of coral I'm going to keep in it, but it will probably be little of everything, or all of one thing :D

Here's the specs:

-Standard 10 Gal
-Whisper 10 Filter
-Theo 50w Heater
-Koralia 1
-DIY 70w MH

Here it is at two days:
Photo0164.jpg

This is my lighting setup:
Photo0160.jpg

As you can see I mounted a shelf above the tank and then mounted the lighting to the shelf. The ballast is mounted to the top of the shelf. So now I have a way to hang the light, as well as somewhere to keep my test kits, chemicals, and such.

I used eight gallons of freshly made saltwater using IO, and then finished filling it with two gallons of water from my very dirty live rock tank. Water parameters are as follows.

pH ~ 8.2
NH3 ~ 0.25 - 0.50
N02 ~ 0
NO3 ~ 10
Temp ~ 78.5 F
Salinity ~ 1.026
Calcium ~ 420 ppm

Let me know what you think!

is it going to be bare bottom? i like sand better because it looks more natural but thats just me. with the 70watt mh can you grow all sps? maybe go with some ricordeas, duncan, and some nice bright colored sps. can't wait to see how it goes!

It's going to be SSB. A member of our club is donating sand and base rock for all the contestants which I'll be picking up on Friday.

I would love to get some duncans in there, but they're still pretty pricey in Idaho. The only one I've seen in the LFS was $70 for a single polyp.

Right now I plan on putting in some nice zoa/palys, birdsnest, some montis, rics, and either a hammer or froqspawn.

And as for second place.... It's on like donkey kong! ;)

I found out our club president has some what appear to be what people would call 'aussie' colored duncans that he's willing to sell. Looks like I'll have duncans after all :D

Water params for today:

pH ~ 8.2
NH3 ~ 0
N02 ~ 0
NO3 ~ 10
Temp ~ 78.5 F
Salinity ~ 1.026
Calcium ~ 420 ppm

Tomorrow I pick up rock and sand!

Back