100 extra gallons!

Hello All,

I have recently went a little crazy and put together this contraption that is tied in with my display tank.

photo.jpg

Currently it is just filled with water. Should I leave it that way or possibly fill it with live rock?

Ken

What is it for? Is it a reserve system for ro and ready mixed saltwater? Or is it just way of expanding your water capacity? If it is the latter sure put a ton of rock in it.

If you put the lids on it don't know if it would work but it could be like 2 giant denitrators lol.

I would put about a foot of sand in the bottom of each one and fill them with live rock. I think i would take the lids off too and put some light over them. Make them like giant Refgiums with cheato, live rock and nice deep sand beds.

Thanks Guys for the feedback,

My setup contains 120 gallons mixed reef, light bioload. All parameters are fine except a slightly higher Nitrate readings. I wanted to setup the extra storage for two reasons. The first reason is that I converted a portion of my sump into a frag setup. Now when I need to replace water I can only drain a small percentage of water before the frags are exposed to water. The second is to increase overall water capacity.

This setup is in my closet with the doors closed 95% of the time. I have the lids on to keep the moisture at bay. I already have a fairly large Chaeto ball in my sump.

Thanks Again.

Ken

Sand, live rock, and cheato in those would completely eliminate your nitrate issues. Just water volume won't make any difference. If you just want to keep them sealed, then i would put a few feet of sand in each one to help as a nitrate filter.

Back