100 Gallon Drop Tank & Fish Room

TinWolf

Hello everyone!
I've been a reader here at RC for quite some time, and now that I am diving into a salt water tank, I am going to document my progress and look for some general advice and comments. First a brief history to catch you all up:

In the past I have ran several successful planted fresh water tanks, the biggest being 90 gallons. After witnessing my cousin dive into salt water with great success, I figured I would give it a try; and to turn it up a notch!

The Mrs and I have bought a house in St. Albert, Alberta (Canada) in the summer of 2015. It is a two level split, 1500 square feet and it came complete with an unfinished basement which I have big plans for: Fish Room! To make matters more interesting, the display tank will be on the upper level living room, with the fish room in the basement.

THE MASTER PLAN:
Drop leg display tank on the upper level
Fish room in the basement c/w independent quarantine tank & future frag tank
Complete Apex control
Pump assisted salt water mixing station
ZeoVit? (Undecided)
LED/T5 Lighting
SPS Dominant

For my display tank I originally had purchased a used drop tank for $100: measuring 72" long x24" wide x30" at the drop foot (for the first 24" Long), and 12" deep on the shallow end (for the rest of the 48" long). My construction for the tank started using this heavy beast, but I had two problems: The Mrs didn't like how high the tank would be sitting on the stand (as it blocked a high window over the front door) and"¦ the $100 tank didn't hold water... Since I didn't have a stand (apart from the metal one that I was installing), it was difficult for me to water test (with that drop leg being the issue) so I didn't bother. What should I have expected for a $100! Scrap that tank...

To make myself and the Mrs happy, I did the next best thing: Custom tank!

4af48d3a9f.jpg

4b00824170.jpg

The tank was brought to life by my local dealer: Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton. I believe I spent 5 hours with the owner, Randy, discussing and planning my tank! The tank went through 4 redesigns to be where it is today through numerous phone calls and visits.

The tank is installed into my front entry landing closet, and avoids the staircase into the basement. Lowering the tank meant a smaller closet: sacrifices had to be made! The Mrs is quite happy to have her window! Happy Wife = Happy Life. Is this correct?

Here is the beginning of the demolition of the top of the closet. Demolition started in November 2016. You can see the original 6' long tank that I was going to use. I'm much happier with my custom tank, however.

4afc0ac09f.jpg

4aff9e4f57.jpg

4b00358db2.jpg

The stand is made from 1½" square tubing, welded up by my favorite welding shop, Arc Metal Industries in Edmonton. I install heating and cooling for commercial buildings, so I am using metal all day and hiring welders to build things. This stand is not the craziest thing he has built me! The glass is framed on plastic footing on the base of the tank and placed on ¾ plywood.

4b000c6a89.jpg

The stand sits on four (that's right: 4!) teleposts designed to hold up structural beams in houses. It did make leveling a snap, as the teleposts have screw-jacks on the top, allowing me to adjust the poles up and down. This is beyond overkill for the amount of weight these posts can hold!

4b00302bee.jpg

Now; that puts the weight of the tank on the landing, not quite to the concrete. For that I will be installing two beams made of two by ten's to carry the front posts and back posts: then picked up by ANOTHER pair of teleposts down to the concrete! Will be more than sufficient!

The tank was lifted onto the stand on December 3rd 2016. It took 4 of us to lift the stand up the stairs and onto the frame. A strenuous job and I'm running out of friends to volunteer to move tanks!

4b000df0f5.jpg

4b005a10fc.jpg

Now while the side view of the tank is rather limited due to the drop"¦

4b004d8f56.jpg

"¦It is the view of the tank while you are walking up the stairs that makes up for it!

4b0065ada0.jpg

As of writing this the tank is up and the dry-walling upstairs is almost complete, I'm a bit behind uploading some pictures.

4b0066ff23.jpg

4b00105ca9.jpg

The fish room in the basement has started to come along as well. I demolished the old wall that was there and widened it out, by running an angle out at the base of the stairs and using metal studs. The fish room dimensions are approximately 8'x7'. More pictures to come.

I hope you all enjoy my build; and please comment and advise!

Looking good! You are lucky to have that kind of skills and take on the project yourself.

Thanks! 12 years in installing commercial ducting and HVAC I've managed to pick up a few tricks and ideas from other trades along the way.

Love it. That's gonna look sick when it's all done. :thumbsup:

Cheers, I'm really hoping it will look as good in real life as it does in my head.

Here is the fish room in the basement and the sump.

4d05d56548.jpg

4bb93d83f5.jpg

And some studs up. I believe the room will be 6' x 8'? I'l have to double check.

4d0615e31a.jpg

4d0612859a.jpg

More studs and electrical is on my docket. Any advise on how many plugs I should put in?

That's an amazing start. Can't wait to see it finished!
Looks awesome tagging along
Holy crap! Thats going to be epic!

mlew, cody125g & Bratyboy2: Thanks for tagging along for the ride!

I am almost caught up to posting pictures to where I am currently in my build. There was a grand total of 20 hours of mudding and sanding! After work I would grudgingly tackle this portion of the build. Drywalling is fun, mudding/sanding is not.

9f67213a3a.jpg

And once the primer went on; more mudding and sanding was required to smooth it all out!

9f676909b7.jpg

The color was matched to our living room wall color. To add some variety (and less drywalling) I picked up some rough cut 1x6 pine boards and stained them weathered grey. I had enough room to add in a pocket cubby off the end of the tank for general items: mail, keys, etc. The cubby is nothing more than cut offs around the edges onto boards, all sanded smooth before staining.

9f67653df5.jpg

The Mrs took no time to put things into it!

9f67760b44.jpg

The best part of the wood; I have access to the plumbing. I kept the last board loose and drilled a convenient finger hole into it for lifting.

9f67806c6d.jpg

The trim is on and the bradley nails are covered with wood fill in the pictures. I have just finished my final trim paint color (white). Soon it will be starting the fish room. The Mrs and myself are finishing up how we want the basement to be laid out.

freaking sweet. i never knew these things existed and now you are the 2nd person i seen in 2 days with a drop off tank. for sure gonna be my next tank

So your project looks great, but not sure I would have put the electrical outlet right under the fish tank... just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back