1050 Gallon Tank Pics

pondfrog said:
I guess my thought process on bulbs over these big tanks has come full circle. If we are after PAR -10k XM is the way to go. Then simply adding VHO actinics will change the color to our liking AND add some MORE PAR to the tank. So, if you have the space above the tank doesn't it make the most sense to go this avenue?
Steve

Not exactly. As you go bigger with tanks, striving for more efficiency becomes harder. Adding VHO to a large tank can be not only an expensive proposition with the large number of bulb replacement required every 6 months, but also a difficult proposition to cover so much ground. Also, the required number of bulbs and wattage to cover so much real state can be pretty high. This is so much easier to do in a smaller tank.

Yes, that seems to make sense. But...it seems Radium is the most talked about in regards to early replacement. No idea if internal structure of the bulbs leads to early retirement or not. I don't think they are the same bulbs, but perhaps close enough?

I did not mean they were made by the same manufacturer and marketed as different. I meant the internal and structural characteristics. XM 20000K are pretty much the same if not worse as far as requiring changing every 6 months. The others it is hard to tell almost all the studies show the PAR right out of the box and not the time line as they degrade over time.

Interesting comment about costing too much. I'm either not sure I follow you or I'm missing something. Take my 10' tank for example. I am thinking 2 of the 660 icecap ballast with 2x6' bulbs (or I could do 8x4' bulbs running front to back) on each of them. Cost would be about 130ish for the bulbs and about 300ish for the ballasts. In the scheme of a tank that large that is an almost nonexistent cost. My 8 PFO ballasts with xm bulbs and lumenarc reflectors cost WAY more than adding the addtional VHO actinic.
Now the wattage is only about 880 for all that VHO vs the 400W MH I will be running.
I just throw this out for discussion, I'm not sure the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Steve

Pics

Pics

66655750_gallon_reef_tank_113_Small.jpg

This is my new toy just brought it back from Chicago.

man after seeing this I have to get a 125 for my dwarf eel...I don't like keeping him in a smaller tank anymore...he seems cramped

my tank is cooler

my tank is cooler

Another post that was un-called for, julez2coolz4u.

Consider this a warning...

***Edited by Skipper***

Klumenecto Dragon Corsica Fish

Klumenecto Dragon Corsica Fish

:wavehand: Bye, bye Fishgurl Xo

Edited by Skipper

Last edited by a moderator:
pondfrog said:
Interesting comment about costing too much. I'm either not sure I follow you or I'm missing something. Take my 10' tank for example. I am thinking 2 of the 660 icecap ballast with 2x6' bulbs (or I could do 8x4' bulbs running front to back) on each of them. Cost would be about 130ish for the bulbs and about 300ish for the ballasts. In the scheme of a tank that large that is an almost nonexistent cost. My 8 PFO ballasts with xm bulbs and lumenarc reflectors cost WAY more than adding the addtional VHO actinic.
Now the wattage is only about 880 for all that VHO vs the 400W MH I will be running.
I just throw this out for discussion, I'm not sure the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Steve

Steve:

The issue of cost depends on how you look at it. The bigger the tank gets, the more difficult it becomes to be cost effective and have efficient ways of doing certain things. One thing is for certain regardless of income or the size of your bank account and that is that if it costs a ton all the time to mantain it will become a chore. Chores don't last long and neither will the tank. That is fact no matter who you are.

When I look at the cost of lighting, I don't even consider the up front cost if it will make it more efficient to run and be more cost effective in the long term. Case in point are the lumenarc reflectors. They cost about $125+ each, but they are so good they will allow you to run less MH bulbs, which saves in the short term buying the new set ups but it also saves in the long term from not having to replace more bulbs, run more electricity, and having to chill the tank so much (more electricity costs). Therefore, in the long term they are a huge saving making them a very cost effective purchase.

I personally added 740 watt of VHO to my tank. Not because it needed the extra light or because it looks better with it, but because I can now run the MH cycle a lot shorter by running them before and after. That cuts in my electricity and chilling demands and may allow me to run the MH for a couple of extra months. The VHO replacement cost is an issue, but when I factored in allt he sides, it turns out I still save some. I am all for cost effectiveness and efficiency.

Having said all the above, I may still go to the XM 10000K and VHO actinics because you cannot beat their prices and PAR is awesome plus they last a good year. It is a hard choice, but I still have some time to go before I make that choice. I hope aruba1334 is not upset for derailing his thread a little.

Aruba1334:

That is a very nice skimmer. It will certainly crank some juice out of your tank. Customer service is aawesome too. Doug backs up the product very well. I've known him since way before his Deltec selling days and he is a very stand up guy.

Alberto,

you should have seen aruba and his buddy carrying that 1004 out of IMAC during the reception. highly entertaining!

Brad.....can't wait to see that thing in action. make sure you give me a call if you have any questions pertaining to setting it up.

Doug

yup....4 pumps. it's a beast. it's the same as the AP1003 with the added pump. Brad is in exclusive company with that thing...especially with the inverted Deltec logo that we made especially for him:D

DGASMD-

I called today and bought 5 of the luminarc's 3's I was told they should be here some time next week so I am excited I am going to try them out with the 400's for now and see how they look I am curious to see what happens when I take off the other 3 400's if it still has the same look, I am just about due for new bulbs for those also so I have been trying to do some homework and figure out which route to go, there are quite a few that look really good but I think I will proabaly end up putting xm-10ks on here. Thanks for your help with my questions.

1diverdown-

I am extremely excited about the skimmer I have not got it up and running yet but within the next few days it is going to happen, I wanted to thank you for the help there in Chicago with my questions about it, I will give you a call soon and send you some pics of the Marshalls.

Thanks,

Brad

wow......makes my 20 look like a little glass bowl!!!!!!!!! The only tanks to rival this one are at the boston aquarium. What if you did get ich or something like that, what would you do?

Aruba, what are the issues with you tank (cuz I sure can't see any), that are making you change lighting and such? I can understand going with a 'beastmaster' skimmer, but curious on the other. Lighting is my weak point, so I'm following some of the chit-chat you guys are having. Also, to lazy to search, what is PAR?

thx!!

Avansickle,

There is no problem with the lights but I think I am not using what I have as efficiently as I could I have 3 1000 watt halides and 8 400 watters on this tank and I love the way it looks but my 400's sit almost 18 inches off the water and give off a lot of heat so my thinking is with these luminarc reflectors I can lower my 400's and get rid of 3 of them and still keep the same coverage that I have right now without wasting light and cutting back some on the heat coming from this tank.

DJM3129-

I thought you knew that deltec skimmers completely remove ich from your tank:D :D :D

haha, I am sure that if a deltec skimmer removed ich that they would be twice the price and everyone would have at least two of them!!!

aruba I am a rescue diver, I have been for 4yrs yrs. I love to dive and as you put it you have to make your tank like the OCEAN! Coral is an intracate part of the beauty of the ocean, which you have mastered. I have been all over the world diving and seen how it looks under the sea from the Maldives, Seachelles, Singapore(where I lived for HS), Florida and Hawaii, plus many others. I know how the ocean changes. Keep up the good work. Thats a monster skimmer!

Back