1073.05 plumbing help needed...

Maximus

Hi Roger,
I just ordered the 1073.05 for my tank and was wondering if you had any ideas on hard plumbing it? I've always used clear vinyl hose on all my tanks for the return and basically just zip tied the hose to the outlet of the pump. On my new tank, I don't want to wonder if the the vinyl hose will come off so I would prefer to use 3/4" pvc. Any ideas how I can connect the 3/4" output of the 1073.05 to pvc pipe? Thanks.

Ok, I think I figured it out. I'm going to use some flex pvc and glue one end into the 3/4" slip x mpt male adaptor fitting. The 3/4" mpt side should screw into the Tunze pump. Will this work?

I would raise a few concerns.

Rigid connections transfer vibration and are best avoided from a silence stand point. What we recommend is using the included hose barbs and a roughly 8-12" length of vinyl or silicon tubing to connect the pump to the rigid PVC run which also has a barbed end.

Commercial PVC fittings have a flared thread (they get wider the more you tighten them), as a result they can and will crack the pump if overtightened and I would generally caution against using them. It is possible to find straight thread fittings for gas connections but they are a specialty part not available at general hardware stores.

Regarding the hose coming off, if you use a tight fitting hose and fully bed it on the fittings and use hose clamps of a high quality (I would recommend plastic locking clamps or the Eheim stainless steel band clamps, cheap hardware store worm clamps can cut into the hose and crush the fittings, if you must use a worm clamp, do not overtighten it and buy high quality stainless ones, their are some very good US and German made hose clamps that have the band sides rounded back and a finer thread so they will not cut the hose and can be more precisely tightened. Mercedes and BMW use such clamps and they aren't terrible about two bucks a clamp instead of 50 cents but well worth it.)

Thanks for the info Roger. I will stick to my original plan and use clear vinyl hosing and hose barbs. I suppose I can use plastic hose clamps as well. Great points on the issue of vibration. It makes perfect sense.

Back