10g macro tank

EvilMel

is a serious goby fanatic
Hello all,
This is the first time I have posted to this forum.

I am setting up a 10g tank strictly for growing macroalgae to feed to my fat Naso Tang Priscilla (just recently figured out a way to get her to eat and now she eats like mad).

The things I want to grow are red Gracilaria and some form of Caulerpa (she loves both of these), plus maybe some others as things progress (and I might switch to a 20g long).

What type of lighting do you think I need. Would fluorescents do it or would I need to use PCs? The reason I ask is because I have a fluorscent set up that I could use but I have concerns that it wouldn't be intense enough to grow alot of algae.

Thanks

Hey EvilMel,

I think if you had around 40 watts of light you could get some macro growing pretty happily. Good luck growing Gracilaria, though. It seems to be a pretty finicky algae. Whenever you do a water change on your main tank you might want to give the algae tank some fresh water / nutrients.

HTH,
Kevin

Yeah I have heard of a PC lamp that I can pick up from homedepot that has 6500K spectrum. I am going to home depot to check it out but then if I don't see it I will totally look at getting that!
Thanks Panhandle.

Kevin: I am sorry I didn't quite understand. I should put some of the dirty water into my algae tank, correct? That makes sense because the algae take up nutrients and all for growth in addition to the light requirement.

I will definately do that. I have a water change coming up.

Hey Mel,

That's basically it. If you are doing a water change the old tank water should be somewhat nutrient rich so might as well take advantage of that. I use 2, 45w PC lamps I got from Wal-Mart on my fuge. That might be something you want to consider for your algae tank.

Kevin

Would a 96W PC light grow algae like crazy or kill it?

I think I may get one of those Coralife 20" 96W PC lights.

Does anyone know the best place to buy one of these?

The trick to gracilaria is lots and lots of nutrients. That macro is real nitrogen hog. Iron additions are also very benificial, especially when setting up seperate culture's from the tank.

Back