120 Stock List?

ZachsZoo

I'm Zach, I'm looking to build a 120 gallon reef in a couple of months. I have been researching reef aquariums for almost 2 years now and I have been trying to come up with a good sized stock list. So, how's this.
(Not in this order)
Pair of clownfish
Midas blenny
Pearly jawfish
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair
Fairy wrasse
Yellow tang
Kole tang/blue tang?
Coral beauty dwarf angel
One spot foxface
6 lyretail anthias
1-2 fire fish
1-2 chromis
Various inverts
Various corals
Opinions?

Is the 120 a 4 foot tank? If so, 18 fish seems like a lot. You would better suited getting a 6 foot tank if those are the fish you have your heart set on.

So based on my Angel consesus thread here, I would say all dwarf Angelfish are a risk in a mixed reef unless you are not worried about your corals. I am also considering Anthias but knowing that they require feedings multiple times a day and therefore increased water changes has me hesitating. I have 2 tangs in my 90 gallon and so far so good but I was told no more than 2. The foxface and the tangs will compete for food and because of their similar shape and size they may end up battling. These are only my opinions based on what I have read and not as much on personal experience.

I'm Zach, I'm looking to build a 120 gallon reef in a couple of months. I have been researching reef aquariums for almost 2 years now and I have been trying to come up with a good sized stock list. So, how's this.
(Not in this order)
Pair of clownfish
Midas blenny
Pearly jawfish
Fairy wrasse
Yellow tang
Kole tang/blue tang?
Coral beauty dwarf angel
One spot foxface
6 lyretail anthias
1-2 fire fish
1-2 chromis
Various inverts
Various corals
Opinions?

I have to agree that 18 fish is a lot for a tank your size. Mix the blue tang. It needs a lot of space. I would choose either thebkole tang or the foxface, but wouldn't include both. There will be too many fights. Chromis are strange to understand. They do better in groups than individually or in pairs, yet they kill each other off. Not worth it in my opinion. The angel is either going to love your coral or ignore them completely. Maybe try getting hold of the biota coral beauty if you want one so bad. Since they were never in the wild, they might not know that coral is food.

I never kept a Midas blenny, but I have heard that they can be a bit mean, especially to herbivores like the tang. You'll have to keep an eye out.

If the tank is 4 feet long, I'd cut down the number of anthias to 3 or 4. Firefish do better in pairs so I'd get 2, not 1.

Make sure you have a deep sandbed with some rubble for the jawfish.

I am not that worried about my corals, it isn't a big deal to me if my angel started nipping on some LPS.The tank would be 4 feet long, would love to make it bigger but I will be putting it in a wall and I am not sure if a 6 foot tank could fit. Also, any opinions on the fairy wrasse? anyone experience them being agressive? Improved stock list:
Pair of clownfish
Midas blenny
Pearly jawfish
Fairy wrasse
Yellow tang
Coral beauty dwarf angel
One spot foxface
6 lyretail anthias
1 fire fish
Various inverts
Various corals

Coral is expensive. If there's enough nipping, you'll be left with expensive white skeletons. I'd reconsider keeping corals at all if you don't mind the coral beauty picking at them.

What kind of fairy wrasse were you considering?

I definetely want coral, and if my coral beauty started destroying it, I would get rid of it, but if 1-2 times a year he kills a small frag that's no big deal. for the wrasse I was thinking an exquisite or a solon, really any reef safe fairy wrasse.

Back