120G Tank Dimension Options

shawnriv

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to upgrade to a 120G tank. I know the typical dimensions for a 120G is 48x24x24. I was wondering what other dimension options are there for that size tank? I would like something a little longer and shorter.

Thank you!

I'm sure you can find a website that you can get one custom made. It might not be exactly 120 gallons but it'll fit where you want it to

So...I'm thinking of a rimless 125G with these dimensions: 60x24x20.

What does everyone think? Is a tank that size awkwardly long?

I don't think it's awkwardly long no. It's actually pretty nice dimensions. If I had my choice I'd probably do something like 38 X 38 X 20 if it had to be 20 inches deep. If not I'd probably go 40 X 40 X 16, but I'm a sucker for tanks that are as wide as they are long, and are shallow. They present unique logistical challenges, though.

If you want volume and not at a computer, here it is:

Using inches: (L x W x H) / 231 = gallons

I have a 120g with the standard 48x24x24 dims.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with slightly less height. It's hard to get to the bottom without going armpit deep!

Yes, I am height and arm length challenged! :)

If you can reach the bottom it is a great form factor.

60*24*20 would look great. It keeps the width that really help you aquascape your corals, and gives you the added length for tangs.

A standard 125 is a bit odd shaped for a coral tank, but you can't go wrong with 24" wide.

If you like short and wide, take a look at Elos tanks. If you get lucky you may even find a used one.

The closest for you would be the System 120XL, which is 126 gallons.

47.24″ x 31.5 ″ x 19.7″H

I've seen this tank in person and it looks really cool, and actually looks bigger than it is because of the front/back depth.

If you can go bigger, then the System 160XL is cool too. It's 200 gallons.

63″ x 31.5 ″ x 23.6″ H

I agree with Woodnaquanut above, as I too have a standard 120 (48x24x24) and it's difficult to reach the bottom. Great width for aquascaping but at 20" in depth, it would be much easier to reach the bottom without getting so wet!

60*24*20 would look great. It keeps the width that really help you aquascape your corals, and gives you the added length for tangs.

A standard 125 is a bit odd shaped for a coral tank, but you can't go wrong with 24" wide.

What's the standard 125G dimensions? I plan on doing a mixed reef sort of dominated by SPS. I would say 65% SPS and 35% LPS.

Back