125 gallon build (and question) thread

Yes, I am putting in glass overflow boxes lined with black acrylic. Unfortunately, I didn't get anything done on the tank last weekend, I went snowmobiling at the cabin instead. :D

But a local guy has a bunch of Fiji rock FS at a good price so now I'd like to get this done ASAP.

with you sump design, i worry that you will get a ton of microbubbles from the "waterfall effect" from the right chamber. The water level in the return section will be the same as the skimmer section (in order for the left set of baffels to work). Water will be falling 6" from the 12" baffle on the right side which will create microbubbles which your return will deliver to the main tank.

Just something to consider.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13927890#post13927890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pbrown3701
with you sump design, i worry that you will get a ton of microbubbles from the "waterfall effect" from the right chamber. The water level in the return section will be the same as the skimmer section (in order for the left set of baffels to work). Water will be falling 6" from the 12" baffle on the right side which will create microbubbles which your return will deliver to the main tank.

Just something to consider.

I agree.

Can't wait to se eyour pics once this is up and running.

I wondered about that but melev's sump has the same thing from his refugium and it works fine. The reason I have a separate fuge is so that I can control the flow through it which will be very slow.

...please note how the water weeps out of the teeth of the refugium quietly into the return section. That is something many people ask about, because they worry about the water falling and creating microbubbles. It isn't a problem if the flow is within an acceptable range.

po4_reactor.jpg

-Image/text from
http://www.melevsreef.com/280g/280g_sump.html

i did my sump very close to the same way except my fuge is on the left->return->skimmer->short wall for bubble trap

it works very well and with a mag 9 i get no bubbles

DSCN1002.jpg

this shot is a few years old but the sump looks the same,except now the fuge overfloweth with chaeto and LR
DSCN7753.jpg

This project is still puttering along slowly. Snowmobiles have had me preoccupied!

Finally ordered the glass for the overflows, wasn't sure what thickness so I just ordered 1/2", same as the tank. 3/8" was about half as much (this bill will come to about $50) but I wasn't sure and I wanted it bulletproof.

Still haven't made it up to the other end of the city where I'll be picking up some 1" vinyl tubing.

What kind of substrate should I use? In my nano I have a combo of sugar sand and crushed coral and it's nice, I got it for free so I didn't make the decision but I'm not sure what I should use for this tank.

Any ideas on the 'strate?

Got the tubing, unfortunately the Mag 24 is wayyy too noisy (this tank is in my bedroom) to use as a return. :(

"Speedy" Glass is taking a ridiculous amount of time, they tell me it should be in by either next Monday or Thursday. I'm unimpressed.

I like the mix of substrate. Leaning towards having sections of fine and sections of more coarse spread around the tank randomly.

Yeah, I like it mixed too.

Glass STILL isn't here.

I had to use a 33 gallon tank instead of the 55 in the end for the sump because I couldn't fit the collection cup out of the stand due to the tank being too tall! Luckily, it's the same width so I made it work with the glass I had ordered.

Also, I sold my Mag 24 for $130 and bought a Mag 12 for $85 so that's all taken care of.

Well, the glass FINALLY came... geez.

So I got the overflows siliconed in, of COURSE one of them leaks at the BOTTOM. So I will have to take care of that.

Also, two of the three return bulkheads leaked because I chipped up the glass pretty bad around them so I removed them and really gooped it up this time with silicone.

Plumbing is completely done.

I leaked tested it today and just the three leaks I stated above, two bulkheads and an overflow.

Got my R/O system set up yesterday finally! Unfortunately with the cold, winter water, I'm only making about 15 gallons per day.

Lastly, I'm picking up sand and rock tomorrow. I got enough LIVE sand for a 4" bed in my 125 and 100 lbs of live rock for only $200.

Pics to come if I feel a little better later on tonight.

What you've all been waiting for... a picture with water in the tank!!

103f65cd.jpg

It has cleared up a lot since then because I put a polishing pad on a powerhead last night. I can't get a picture right now though because the windows on the opposite wall reflect off the tank like crazy.

The 100# of rock turned out to be 80# but that's OK, I still got a good deal on everything. Along with all the sand (about 3.5 salt pails FULL) and rock, he also gave me a 3/4 full bucket of Instant Ocean and a 24w UV unit. He wasn't getting out of the hobby, simply changing salts and buying new equipment.

I've got another 10 gallons or so of water mixing downstairs so hopefully that will just about bring it to the top of the overflows.

I have yet to do that but I'm going to drill a couple holes in the top of each Loc-Line piece closest to the tank wall, that way the siphon will be cut once it reach that level. If it still drains too far, I'll probably take a piece of airline tubing, stick it in the whole then put that a little closer to the surface of the water.

Holes won't do any good. You basically have 3 drains at that level in your tank.
Look at it again...I think you will see what I mean.

I understand what you are saying but I have done the exact same thing in my nano and it works just fine. I also know that check valves fail, I have never used them nor will I ever in the future.

The highest point of the plumbing needs to be above the water level.
Otherwise it will just keep draining until the water level reaches the
bottom of the bulkhead.

You do not have a siphon, you have a drain.

This is one solution.
img0183.jpg

Sorry, was thinking one thing, saying another. I do know it's a drain.

My nano has nearly the exact same setup as this for returns, except it's a single return with the bulkhead on the side of the aquarium at the back. I drilled a hole in the top of the Loc-Line fitting near the bulkhead and it stops once it hits that.

I should have the tank running by tonight, I'll take a look at it then. Would a simple piece of airline stuck into a hole on the Loc-line fitting not do exactly the same thing?

Back