15 sharks at Indianapolis Zoo die after maintenance error

JokerGirl

Whistler's Mother
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090121/LOCAL18/901210381

Fifteen bonnethead sharks in the Indianapolis Zoo's popular Oceans exhibit died Monday when a routine maintenance procedure went wrong.

A cleaning system released too much ozone into their tank, damaging the animals' gills, Deputy Director Paul Grayson said Tuesday.

"Ozone is a very caustic gas that helps us remove unwanted things in the water," Grayson said. "It's great for the health of the fish when you control it. When it gets high, it can do some serious damage to tissue."

Two Emperor Snappers that shared the tank suffered no ill effects. The snappers, Grayson said, will be the only occupants of the tank for at least two to three months while the zoo finds and brings in new animals for the exhibit.

The accident occurred after workers cut power to the tank's sophisticated life-support devices to repair a hole in the filtration system. When workers turned the power back on about 1 p.m., they did not reopen a valve regulating ozone, and the machine pumped too much into the tank.

By 7 p.m., the bonnetheads were in obvious trouble, Grayson said. Staffers called in veterinarians and supervisors, who arrived within an hour.

"Everybody came running, but by the time they got there, it was too late," said Director of Communications Judith L. Gagen.

Though fluke accidents sometimes happen, fatalities are rare for the hardy bonnethead, according to a California marine biologist who studies sharks and rays.

"Bonnetheads are one of the tougher hammerhead species," said Christopher Lowe, director of the Shark Lab at California State University-Long Beach. "That's why you see bonnetheads on exhibit in a lot of aquariums."

The staff member who turned the power back on admitted the mistake and will not face discipline, Grayson said. He did not release the worker's name.

Many of the caregivers wept after the sharks died, he said.

"To the folks who care for these animals, this is like extended family," Grayson said. "The aquarists will tell you that fish have personalities."

A monetary estimate of the loss was not available, Gagen said.

Grayson said the zoo is evaluating its training, repair procedures and life-support system design to ensure the same kind of mistake does not happen again.

Bonnethead sharks will be back, Grayson said, but the replacement exhibit also might include rays or other species mixed in with the sharks.

Bonnetheads, also known as shovelhead sharks, are about 3 feet long, with smooth, semicircular heads, according to zoo officials. They are usually harmless and are found in the western Atlantic and eastern Pacific oceans.

This is what scares me about overautomating tanks. I understand if you have to go on a vacation, but it seems like everything you add is one more thing that can malfunction. The balance is difficuilt.

Really sad for the sharks.

Sad, those were nice sharks, I was at the zoo over the summer. Nice zoo overall but the sharks added alot to the place, they will be missed.

Being from Indy, I was not happy to hear this at all. I hope they can get it fixed and get some new sharks. They have a very nice exhibit.

Back