150g octopus tank

broe33

ok i currently have a 150 gallon tank with a corner overflow and an secure fitting acrylic lid that has been set up for over a year. i have a skimmer and sump and have good readings on all of my levels. all that i am currently keeping i an eel, a lion, and a trigger. i plan to give these to a friend or sell them back to the fish store. and would like to get an octopus. is there a bigger octopus that i could house in this tank(that is not outrageously expensive or rare). i plan to give the octopus the tank all to himself except for a few snails and crabs which i will keep for him as a snack.

I'm kind of in the same situation, but everything i have read on this sight and others has convinced me that a bimac is the best way to go for so many reasons. I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I'll be getting a bimac for my 155g with 55g sump I plan on setting up a lot of macro and probably throwing in some cheap green chromis and or some urchins/starfish so the tank wont look so empty.

You can give a try to vulgaris. They are bigger than bimac and quite hardy. Shouldnt be expensive either. However, they might need cooler water.

Corner overflows can be tricky. I don't like them in octopus tanks because when young, they can crawl right though them.
You can modify them with a fine screen over them attached some how
but they are still not my preferred method. A large species could also block one completely causing a overflow.
I species like vulgaris would be nice in a large thank like you have. They require the tank to be very secure how ever. If you contact a collector in Hawaii, they could catch you a O.cyanea as well. If this is your first octopus I would go with O.bimaculoides.

Back