18" cube stand build

setsail4mexico

Okay so I was selling this tank but needed a Labor Day project so I built a stand for it. I know the pics are bad. Skinned it in oak with a dark stain and sealed/painted the inside. The whole front panel comes off and is held in place with 4 neodymium magnets on top and a slot on the bottom. Next step is a sump... Thinking a double layer one if dimensions work out.
ca98df9c0f143f0822e449d12203bfe3.jpg
65b90302caf55720189910b3c2efc0a7.jpg
65a9b1024f7b0c5b1d618cb1e75db308.jpg
30b6c3423f9e8a6941b33c3c11897f40.jpg
b9ebd26ba040c64d7b9988d26f87b600.jpg
3d6c12d407fa7a48a89fede59e5b1df6.jpg
13b5c49ddb1dbee1dab99a8a6af7b69f.jpg
cd6d4ff419af4fce1d966e80e89a80f9.jpg
2ce8f48a0c47d7fe3a2c424b0b205106.jpg

LOL - look like I should have bought it when I had the chance.

One suggestion, silicone or otherwise close off the slots at the bottom of the overflow cover. It will help quiet the tank when all the water is skimmed over the top instead. Only thing I didn't like about this tank once I got mine up and running.

LOL - look like I should have bought it when I had the chance.

One suggestion, silicone or otherwise close off the slots at the bottom of the overflow cover. It will help quiet the tank when all the water is skimmed over the top instead. Only thing I didn't like about this tank once I got mine up and running.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Nice, have the exact same tank and have been thinking about doing something similar. What's the white goop, caulk or 5200?

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to get my butt back in gear!

Nice, have the exact same tank and have been thinking about doing something similar. What's the white goop, caulk or 5200?

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to get my butt back in gear!

It's 20 min quick dry paintable caulk, that way when I painted the inside to seal it (keep from getting that musty smell) the seams would be filled in. I did it all in one day! Good luck on yours! Next weekend the canopy will get done and possibly the sumps too.

Built the hood the previous weekend with a hinged front and built a double sump from Home Depot plastic containers and plumbed it all up this weekend with a speedwave dc controllable pump. I have a Chinese 165 LED light in the hood and a couple wave pumps inside... Put live sand in from my other tank with a little new sand to seed it and some live rock that has been circulating in a trash can in my garage and now to let it cycle and test!

Now to rearrange the rock work and find a small skimmer that will fit the top sump. All water parameters in check right now... With existing live rock and sand, not sure if I'm going to see anything but a mini cycle or so.

Keep an eye out of that tote leaching anything. Another member just had a pretty bad experience with something like that leaching something into his tank.

Keep an eye out of that tote leaching anything. Another member just had a pretty bad experience with something like that leaching something into his tank.

Yes! Thought about that already and have the return intake in middle of a large bag of carbon so all water is going through it. Not sure how long to leave it that way but was thinking a couple months. I will be doing frequent water changes for first few months too to ensure water quality. So far all water parameters are 0ppm! I expected a mini cycle but still nothing!

Back