180 display/445 system build

Roy, looks GREAT!! I am finally slowing down a bit at work so lets get together so I can see this in person!!!

I cant wait for this to be up and running

How have you used the px1000
How much further can you use it? Are you planning to hook up that calcium reactor?

Thanks Clark. I need to get over and check out your tank too. Maybe get some wire de-cluttering ideas. :lol:

Justin, all I've done with the px1000 is hook it up, Oh, and I figured out how to calibrate the temp probe and turn off the pH and orp probes. :lol:

The px1000 allows me to have more digital input/outputs than the base module as well as the extra probes. I'll use the pH probe for the calcium reactor but that's not going to be for awhile. So right now it's just a couple hundred dollar temp sensor. :D The extra sensor is in the frag tank and havng it there will allow me to turn on/off the chiller and be able to monitor that I don't get too low of a local temp in that tank as compared to the system. I just need to write the code with that as a safety turn off.

Well I hooked up 2 of the socket expansion modules to the AC3. If you are unfamiliar with them, they allow you to pull the amperage from another circuit line while being switched from the DC8. One is for the chiller and one for the 2X400's over the frag tank.

I also acquired a second matching mh fixture (thanks Randy rs2208) and mounted them together and then hung them. I do have a problem in that the plastic chains won't work on 2 of these fixures for long term so I'll go looking for cables with some form of adjustment to raise them and then they'll hold in a raised position. this will help working in the frag tank.

100_0922.jpg

I started the canopy for the tank. I also filled it with water and a few gallons of muriatic to let soak and clean the tank before moving it in.
100_0923.jpg

100_0925.jpg

I asked my wife to stop by Sears hardware store and look at router prices to help me with my canopy trim. I need to cut a rabbit out of the lower trim to help with the fit over the tank. She found one for a couple hundred that was on sale for 119, then it was the last one and display so they were letting it go for only 60. Then they couldn't find the manual (which is online anyway) so she got them to cut another 20 bucks off. So I got a router set for 40 bucks!!

100_0924.jpg

Wow. Great Deal on the Router.

The frag tank is looking good. BTW, What is in those brown retangular boxes on the side of the MH reflector? Could you explain these reflectors alittle bit? The are DIY reflectors correct?

Glad you found the other light. Good thinking :D

Why don't you just hook the 4 corners of the bracing holding the 2 MH's and use a crank pulley?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9791955#post9791955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kipher
BTW, What is in those brown retangular boxes on the side of the MH reflector?

Those came right out of an indoor pool with a drop ceiling. The reflectors aren't real shiny (not too bad though) although they could probably be polished up but with 2X400 over it I shouldn't have to worry too much about it especially once I get the frag rack in there. I would have put the rack in last night if I was comfortable with the supporting chains.

The rectangular boxes are the ballasts.

Oh, and they had a bumpy glass cover that was installed on a door that was on them for accessing the bulbs from below. I removed the diffuser glass of course. And then changed those regular mh bulbs that look like footballs. I added Iwasaki 6500K bulbs.

Talk about some tight temp control. I should have bought a chiller a long time ago. I tend to run my tanks a little hotter but I have 78 as the target temp in the month of April. On the graph you can see a straight line where it was offline yesterday (sunday) and then when it comes back online you can see it changing. Very little variation as the day goes on! Temp is the display and TmpA is the frag tank where the chiller is.
Afterchiller.jpg

I like what you are doing Roy, I know it will be great. Keep us updated. And tell Angie to keep the pictures coming as well. She has a good eye for just the right pictures.

Well I got my frag rack in the frag tank today. The lighting isn't the easiest to get a large item like that past. It's easy to get to for regular arm work but that rack was tough. I also drained the muriatic acid out of the display tank in the garage and refilled with water.
100_0926.jpg

100_0927.jpg

I have a LOT more room for frags now! :thumbsup:

Please do! :lol:

Today I got a 2nd rinse of the tank to get the acid out and I scrubbed it well. I did one last filling with tap for another rinse which will sit in it for another day or so. I'll still need to tip the tank on it's side during the move around through the back yard (while I have some helping hands around) and hose out the overflows well. They're pretty clean but I still want to give them a rinse. Had I hosed those out in the garage it would have made a mess since there are no durso's in there right now.

I'm hoping to coordinate a few hands on Friday eve or Sat to get it around the house and sitting close to the existing display so I can add my sand and at least a tiny bit of water. I'll move the existing corals to the frag tank earlier that day or the night before.

Drained the final rinse water from the display tank in the garage. I've rounded up some help for Sat. afternoon around 4 to move it into the house. Or if the Mrs. want's to have people over Sat. night we'll do it later in the eve when some friends arrive.

I also got the salt mix barrel inside, cut an access hole and a bulkhead in the bottom. I plumbed it up so it leaves the bottom and goes into the pump (a t'd off intake pipe w/valve is present as well to draw from a ro/di reservoir I'm adding). Then when it leaves the pump it has 2 ways to go depending on valve status, either back into the salt mix container for mixing or the 2nd outlet will go to the tank for water changes.

Well yesterday we carried the tank around back. On the way we stopped and took it up on it's side for one last rinse with the hose. It's clean looking now!

And the big item for the day is my friend Dave (lostmarbles) came over and we added a 125A subpanel to the fish room and for now we added 7 20 amp circuits with gfi's! I have a lot of wire arranging and cleaning up to do. Got rid of the extension cords across the basement too!

Today so far I've plumbed up the salt mix bucket the way it will stay. Here's some pics of yesterday and today's work:

Salt mix pumping:
100_0948.jpg

GFI's on the wall. We have 6 circuits (only 5 right now because I need another gfi as you can see)
100_0946.jpg

100_0947.jpg

And my subpanel! Yay!!
100_0945.jpg

looks good!

Now the real question................when you going to sell me one of those superman frags? :D

As soon as I post a pic of the tank in place with corals in the display, I'll have some ready. The mother colony will get another fragging before I put it in the 180 so I can leave it alone in there for awhile.

Back