180 Gallon Mixed Reef Build

here is a video

I have a calcium reactor with a Cole Parmer peristaltic pump, An Iwaki 100 return pump (thats the noise), GFO reactor, AWC system(the DOS pump), ATO system (second Cole Parmer pump), external skimmer, carbon dosing storage, 52 gallon brute to degass well water, two 32 gallon brutes for ATO water and AWC water. There is an RO/DI system using a booster pump.

The Apex system with 2 EB's to control everything is on the back wall.

Get as much room as you can. You will be adding more.

Last edited:
here is a video

I have a calcium reactor with a Cole Parmer peristaltic pump, An Iwaki 100 return pump (thats the noise), GFO reactor, AWC system(the DOS pump), ATO system (second Cole Parmer pump), external skimmer, carbon dosing storage, 52 gallon brute to degass well water, two 32 gallon brutes for ATO water and AWC water. There is an RO/DI system using a booster pump.

The Apex system with 2 EB's to control everything is on the back wall.

Get as much room as you can. You will be adding more.
That a lot of stuff. My 375 gallons everything fitted underneath the stand with the exception of the RO/DI unit and water change system

Anybody think we are asking for disaster by pumping the water from one side of the basement, through the ceiling, into the sump across the room and back again?

After some delay, we have basement plans done.... and we are now in a holding pattern b/c of COVID-19. Changed up the plans for the tank a bit. The display tank is now going on the wall that has the fish room right behind it - this will make everything much easier. All of the equipment (sump, water mixing station, automatic water change set up, etc) will be in the fish room. I attached the plan. I wish I had a bit more room to get to my water mixing tanks to clean them out periodically, but I can make this work.

For those of you with AWC systems, how do you do maintenance/vacuum the sand bed?

Any special advice/recommendations/things you wish you had done differently on plumbing?

Thanks!

Laura

Attachments

• Fish Room Plan.png
    Fish Room Plan.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
FWIW- I believe the RO should be above the sink.
Changing filters will result in some water leaking & getting under a sink with plumbing & a wrench will be a challenge, then getting wet & having to clean up. NOt my cup of tea.
I use a 55 gallon barrel over a 30 gallon for water, both are fresh with the bottom being for top off. I mix in a separate 30 gallon that I house in the garage until needed. I think you would save space with this arrangement, Even 2- 30's would work well.
I can send a pics with an email address. Get the sump off the floor! This will result in almost -0- head for a pump, save your back & knees, make maintenance less of a chore.

I have an AWC and just leave the sand bed cleaning to the critters. I actually have very little visible sand.

I use two brute 32 gallon containers for AWC and ATO. I have a third 52 gallon Brute for de-gassing my water after RO as I am on a well with high co2 levels. Even without the need for de-gassing it would work well to hold your ro/di water till it was time to make new salt water

Other things down the road to maybe consider in your planning
Calcium Reator or before that
Two part dosing system
ATO system and storage
Algae Turf Scrubber
Carbon Dosing
GFO dosing
Controller system ( use Apex)
Power outlets and location ( I use about 20)
20 amp circuit for outlets

We are finally making progress. Water mixing station is built and needs plumbed. Sink goes in next. We will put the RO/DI over the sink and then the sump is going on a stand itself. Tank is ordered and should be here in another week or so.

Attachments

• Resized_20200505_125422.jpg
    Resized_20200505_125422.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20200505_125410.jpg
    Resized_20200505_125410.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
I am working on how I want to plumb the water mixing station. The BRS website recommends using the Uniseal bulkheads if you have a curved surface b/c regular bulkheads won't give a great seal. I was going to use it as an inlet for fresh water from the upper tank to the lower tank. That is going to to have a valve and be fed by gravity.

I would go from the bottom of the container, through the platform to just above the cover.
I would be wary of a uniseal because of the forces needed to open the valve.
I would prefer a heavy duty bulkhead. All of this could also be accomplished with a pump & hose with no holes necessary. Might just be the way to go for now until everything is operational for a while.

COVID has been holding up some supplies, so the basement remodel is a bit behind schedule. New stand/canopy for tank should be delivered this week (needs finished) and tank is going to be here the week after. Will post pictures when we have more progress.

In the meantime, need to pick out flooring for the fish room - what does everybody have? My thought was to put down some kind of rubber/foam flooring to put on the concrete so that if I drop something it is less likely to break. Ideas?

In an earlier post you mentioned about matching pumps to move water through a frag tank. Maybe I missed something where you have since changed that. Trying to match pumps to run at the same rate is problematic and will result in a flood.

COVID has been holding up some supplies, so the basement remodel is a bit behind schedule. New stand/canopy for tank should be delivered this week (needs finished) and tank is going to be here the week after. Will post pictures when we have more progress.

In the meantime, need to pick out flooring for the fish room - what does everybody have? My thought was to put down some kind of rubber/foam flooring to put on the concrete so that if I drop something it is less likely to break. Ideas?
For flooring I think tiles wood be a good choice easy to clean and spilling would not be a problem. If you have a floor drain would been great. I seen in your picture of your fishroom are you not finishing the walls?

In an earlier post you mentioned about matching pumps to move water through a frag tank. Maybe I missed something where you have since changed that. Trying to match pumps to run at the same rate is problematic and will result in a flood.

Totally agree - we scrapped that idea due to the same concerns!

For flooring I think tiles wood be a good choice easy to clean and spilling would not be a problem. If you have a floor drain would been great. I seen in your picture of your fishroom are you not finishing the walls?

I was leaning towards some kind of foam or rubber floor tiles too - something where I can drop things and they don't have a 99% chance of breaking! There is a floor drain in the space and we opted not to finish the walls. There will be a plastic shield behind the sump to protect the wall from salt spray and I am going to hang an equipment board from the studs.

Instead of a plastic sheet get a board of FRP, 4 x 8 Fiberglass reinforced plastic.
It will look so much better & is water safe.

Back