180 Gallon Transformation

Nice! I drilled my dual over flow 180 on one end to put in a BA type system. Works great and love that I don't have any big overflows on the back or in the corners of hte tank.

Do you have a thread? I have seen the drilling but I have never done it myself but I am up to the challenge!!

Do you have a thread? I have seen the drilling but I have never done it myself but I am up to the challenge!!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2164285&page=5

that starts where I drill:

20140720_174910_Android_zps05b213b9.jpg

Here it is plumbed:

IMG_20141121_1724188841_zps72b7a231.jpg

Here it is now, a FTS you can see it on the right:

IMG_20150425_183353789_zpsfxxn7hw8.jpg

I'd say get a bigger tank, and leave the 180 as is and sell it to re-coup some$$ sounds like a big head ache for only a few extra inches of space.

but hey that's just me...

Thank you iced98lx for posting your thread!!!

FishNcars I would like to get get a bigger one but it would be very expensive. Where I live there is very little demand for big fish tanks and even if I was able to sell it I would take a huge hit on it and not worth it. It looks like a headache and it probably is but I know in the end it will be worth it to me. Also as you can see I already started putting money into it and don't want to lose that too! Thanks and wish me luck that everything turns out good.

Another busy weekend. Project continues moving forward. Had to remove one of the top braces since it isn't necessary. Made the base from 2x4s, made the floor from 1/2" plywood. Will be putting a 2x4 and attaching it to the top 2 steel braces for lights. Just a pic to show where things are. 2x4 on top 2 steel braces and lights not yet pictured.

You might want to consider putting a plastic tray of some kind on top of the plywood base to contain in drips or spills.

Dave.M

You might want to consider putting a plastic tray of some kind on top of the plywood base to contain in drips or spills.

Dave.M

Thank you was planning on painting it with an exterior latex paint for the same reason. Where can I get a plastic tray or how can I make one?

Thank you was planning on painting it with an exterior latex paint for the same reason. Where can I get a plastic tray or how can I make one?

We just had a 1/8" sheet of ABS plastic cut to fit the bottom of our 300DD stand. It cost about $100, but looks awesome. We have glued it to the OSB and will be adding a bead of silicone around the edges to make it a water tight tray.

Even cheaper solution would be a sheet of heavy plastic such as is used underneath shower installations and glued/tacked around inside of cabinet.

Dave.M

It's been a long time since I updated this thread. You would think that I would be done by now or moved on. Thing is that the tank got placed in the back burner due to me becoming a father in 2014. I never thought I would take this long and like anything in life some things just take priority and a tank was not one of them. Well my wife started asking and didn't like the stand in the kitchen anymore. So now its time to put my energy back into this thing. I always like the ghost overflow from Synergy Reef but seemed it was never available when I was shopping. Well look what came in the mail!

So I have not updated this in a while. Well the journey finally began March 19, 2017. With lots of work and almost giving up. I finally moved the aquarium to its new and permanent location.

Prior to this I ended up buying a Rubbermaid 100gallon stock tank at my local Tractor Supply store to house all the fish. The top photo was the point of no return and I was committed. I was feeling uneasy at this point but I couldn't give up. Unlike many people in this forum I don't belong to a reefing club and don't know anyone locally with a saltwater tank. In other words if something went wrong I couldn't ask for help and everything was on me.

Removing the overflows was more work than expected. My house at this point smelled pretty bad to put it nicely. Had a long night with clean up but finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Back