19yr old Green spotted puffer Eye problem

dave602m

Hi all,

My local vets here in Milwaukee won't even look at pics of this fish to see if they can diagnose - can anyone here help? 19+ yr old Green Spotted Puffer developed a cataract a few years ago, but just this morning it swelled up and is sloughing off some tissue from the cornea. Thoughts?

I did a water change yesterday so maybe its related to that, but nothing out of my normal routine, he is the only fish in the tank, nothing with the tank has really changed in years, it's been biz as usual. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9734.jpg
    IMG_9734.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9737.jpg
    IMG_9737.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9739.jpg
    IMG_9739.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9731.jpg
    IMG_9731.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9733.jpg
    IMG_9733.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9734.jpg
    IMG_9734.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9739.jpg
    IMG_9739.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 22
freshwater? if so you can try giving it a bath in saltwater with epsom salt and keep the freshwater tank a little brackish.
just a opnion as I am not very expereienced in freshwater. Maybe others can chime in

It's a saltwater tank. I got him some bacterial medicine and have my fingers crossed (LFS recommended Seachem KanaPlex).

It's a saltwater tank. I got him some bacterial medicine and have my fingers crossed (LFS recommended Seachem KanaPlex).
Antibiotics will keep it from getting secondary infections. I would try freshwater bath for 3 min and also epsom salt bath.

Thank you! Between the freshwater dip and Kanaplex he seems to be on the mend - back to his "normal" cataracty eye - this is his pre-existing condition. I'm gonna continue KanaFlex for the third and final treatment it recommends then will do a water change and add back in the carbon. Thx again!

Attachments

• IMG_9745.jpg
    IMG_9745.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 13
awesome, I would do the third treatment with kanaplex and after that i would do freshwater dips if it still needs it. After 7-10 days of stopping kanaplex you can redose antibiotics if needed. keep us posted

Back