2 6105's and 7096 all went out

I pulled 2 6105's out for cleaning tonight, and noticed the pump on outlet 1 that supplies the 7096 wasnt coming on, but the controller was powered up. I swapped power supplies around and then noticed the other pump wouldnt work on the power supply, which meant to me I had a bad power supply, but when I put it back in the way it was working, nothing powers up.

the suspected bad power supply has no light at the fuse, and the other one does, but now, neither pump will even come on even trying to run manually not plugged into the controller, and on either power supply.

Is it possible that one bad power supply messed up the other pump and controller when I switch them around?

Thanks

Mark

It is not impossible, but fairly unlikely. How old are the pumps? When you cleaned them, are you sure the impeller is free to spin on the metal shaft? For testing I would eliminate the controller for now and not use it. I would try the one working power supply and try wiggling the power connection to be sure that is not just loose, that can be adjusted.

I tried new receptacles last night, also I tried both manually, and took the cover off and tried flicking the impeller with my finger to see if it would make it spin, but neither would do anything. I've also check to make sure water didn't enter, but don't see any signs. Both power supplies have been cover by plastic sheeting to keep them clean.

Whats crazy is I know the one with the bad power supply was working the night before, and I'm pretty sure it was working when I took it out to clean it, I know the other was since I unplugged the wrong one first and the one I was cleaning came on in the bucket I was cleaning them in. When I tried plugging them back in was when everything went out.

The pump are probably 4-6 years old, I lose track of time, Ill have to look when I get home.

I think I've found the problem. I wiggled the cords and pulled the fuse on the power supply that has a light like you said, and it looked like the light got brighter and is now working, it will also power up the 7096 and pump.

The cord on the other of my 6105's has either rotted or been gnawed on by an urchin, but I can see the yellow shielding underneath the black cord, which probably explain why the power supply is fried. I guess the cord had water in it last night, pretty much shorting out the whole setup.

Are either the pump or power supply repairable at this point?

Thanks

They would have to be replaced, but a new motor and new power supply is $100 less than a new pump, give me a call, we can work out getting this taken care of.
512-833-7546

Thanks for the help, Roger.

After my last urchins dies I don't think I'll be adding any back to the tank after this.

Over the years I have encountered this at least a dozen times, what I suggest if you keep urchins is to just put a sleeve over the cord, this could be some airline tubing or that split channel cable tidy stuff.

Back