2 Dottybacks 1 tank?

Sigmund

I have a heavily aquascaped 125gallon with a neon dottyback "tank raised" already in (size approx 2 inches). My LFS after much looking has found a Australian Dottyback same as the one on Live Aquaria a couple months ago.

I really want this fish it is a little larger about 2.5 inches. Do I have any shot of this working? The ND stays in one general area of the tank, and hangs out within the rock work of this area. It also is a model citizen with my other fish.

Any feedback, especially first hand experiences welcome. And yes I know that each fish is unique so if it worked or didn't work for someone else, doesn't mean that I will experience the same result.

Thanks~

You would be better off pairing the one you have. The one you are thinking of is VERY aggressive. More than your common neons, fridmanis, sankeyis, indigos. Also the little purple and yellow/purple dottybacks with clear fins are a bad choice too despite their cheap price tag.

What did you mean by "Also the little purple and yellow/purple dottybacks with clear fins are a bad choice too despite their cheap price tag". Are you referring to the Australian dottyback with this comment. If so I can see why due to aggression it could be considered a bad choice, but other than that why? They are hardy, and also they are not cheap.

Don't really want a pair of either, prefer varied species as much as possible. Do you think it won't work because the ND will not let the new fish establish himself, or because the new fish is too mean and will terrorize the ND.

Thanks for the initial feedback, and clarification to the above comment if you can...

No what I meant is the one you are considering is VERY aggressive, and I am assuming Ogilbyina novaehollandiae or Ogilbyina queenslandiae by the diver's den fish. Both are aggressive.

Then there are also: Pseudochromis porphyreus, Pseudochromis paccagnellae, and Pseudochromis diadema. All of which have clear fins and are cheap. Those are mean too.

If you want another dotty I would recommend getting another of the same species you have. If it is Pseudochromis aldabraensis you should not have too much trouble pairing, especially in a heavily aquascaped 125 gallon. They can change sex so that's not really a big deal.

Back