200g with cracked bottom for CHEAP. Is it worth it?

crat748

Hello all! I have the opportunity to get a 200g with corner overflows and stand for $150. The only problem is the bottom glass is cracked. I have called 1 place locally (I haven't tried others yet) and I can get the glass for $180. The piece is 24x84x1/2. The glass that is on the bottom now is 3/4" thick. Will the half inch glass be ok and how difficult is it to replace the glass. A guy at my lfs says it'll be pretty easy and he will help me replace the glass.

Am I getting in over my head with this tank or is it as easy as removing and replacing the glass?

it is "easy" to replace if you have the time and work space. if your tank had 3/4 thats what i would stick with and not go with thinner glass. the hardest part your going to run into would be drilling the the bulkhead holes. just remember that 200gal makes one hell of a mess when its all over your floor and that great price for your broken tank may not be that great of a deal

it really depends how the tank is built…if the sides are on the bottom you need to use as thick or thicker thenit wwas built within the first place….this will also be a much easier repair…if the bottom is inside the side then you can get away with the 1/2" but you will also need to use a 1/2" euro brace around the bottom as well…however this will be a much more difficult repair, as you will need to disassemble the entire tank. (although all that said you should completely disassemble the entire tank for either repair)

no matter how you look at it 150 for the glass is a good deal if you pull the tank apart, you could make a couple smaller tanks…or buy a new bottom panel and rebuild the tank.

I was going to ask the place when they cut the glass to drill the holes too. I do have the time and space. I want to refinish the stand also. It will probably be around 6mo before I would have everything I need to do the swap (an extra light, sand, rock, another MP40)

I agree about total dissasembly. You haven't mentioned the height of the tank. Euro-bracing is always a good idea at both top and bottom if it is a tall tank.

Dave.M

Sorry, the tank is 24x24x84. It's an older oceanic. It has the single plastic brace in the middle with glass on both sides. It does not have any bracing on the bottom. I couldn't tell if the glass was on the inside of the sides or on the bottom.

Based on the volume and dimensions given, sounds like it would be 24" tall with sides on top of the bottom panel, thus the original glass at 3/4". Maybe one of the now discontinued 7ft all glass (aqueon) tanks. I would certainly NOT go with anything thinner than the original manufacturer thought appropriate.

Back