220 Gallon Reef Stocking Questions

jreinhold

I just recently bought a 220 gallon tank (72L x 24W x 30H) and plan on merging a 180 gallon and a 75 gallon into this new tank and selling the old tanks. I want this to be a reef tank, but that is not really my main focus because along with the 200LBS of live rock there are fake coral inserts that look very real so if for some reason one of my must keep fishes eats them all its not that big of a deal. I have about 20 corals of all types that only cost $200. The stock list I plan on having is the following:

1. Emperor Angelfish (juvenile 2.5")
2. Blue Hippo Tang (6")
3. Blonde Naso Tang (4.5")
4. Kole Tang (3.5")
5. Porcupine Puffer (5")
6. Copperband Butterfly (3")
7. Melanurus Wrasse (4")
8. Flame Angel (3")
9. Blue Spotted Puffer (3")
10. Royal Gramma Basslet
11 & 12. Clownfish Mated Pair

I already have these fish and more between the two old tanks. My question is do you think I could also keep my One Spot Fox Face? He's already 6" and is pretty much full grown. Or am I already maxed out for my tank and should sell him?

I just recently bought a 220 gallon tank (72L x 24W x 30H) and plan on merging a 180 gallon and a 75 gallon into this new tank and selling the old tanks. I want this to be a reef tank, but that is not really my main focus because along with the 200LBS of live rock there are fake coral inserts that look very real so if for some reason one of my must keep fishes eats them all its not that big of a deal. I have about 20 corals of all types that only cost $200. The stock list I plan on having is the following:

1. Emperor Angelfish (juvenile 2.5")
2. Blue Hippo Tang (6")
3. Blonde Naso Tang (4.5")
4. Kole Tang (3.5")
5. Porcupine Puffer (5")
6. Copperband Butterfly (3")
7. Melanurus Wrasse (4")
8. Flame Angel (3")
9. Blue Spotted Puffer (3")
10. Royal Gramma Basslet
11 & 12. Clownfish Mated Pair

I already have these fish and more between the two old tanks. My question is do you think I could also keep my One Spot Fox Face? He's already 6" and is pretty much full grown. Or am I already maxed out for my tank and should sell him?

Id choose between the emperor and the naso but not both. They will both get very large and you will probably end up with issues down the road. Also if you are planning on coral I'd stay away from the puffers. I had a blue spot years ago and the bastard ate a 150$ clam I had for years. also the cobberband and the flame angel will be about a 50% chance they will get a taste for corals as well... I was always a guy that bought what I wanted and liked and had to reap the consequences later for my decisions. Now I stay to reef safe only and still have minor aggression issues now and then but for the most part all my fish leave my corals alone. If it were me ( and I plan on upgrading to a 200DD soon ) my stocking list will be

These are all in my current tank
pair of darwin clowns
diamond goby
mccoskers flasher wrasse
solonarus wrasse
long fin fairy wrasse
lawnmower blenny

my addition to the new tank will be
couple more wrasses ( possum, leopard, mystery, and maybe more )
vlamingy tang ( this will be the centerpiece fish )
bristletooth tang ( not sure but most likely will be a tomini )
Maculiceps Tang ( not 100% on this but definitely a possibility )
flame angel ( possibly but not sure if I wanna risk it eating coral )

I have a couple more possible fish I'd like but not sure if I want to stock that heavy

Thanks for the insight. I know the copperband and the flame angel will be fine they are both coming from my 75 gallon reef tank and havent touched a thing in the year they were in the tank. I will have take my chances with my porcupine because I cannot let that fish go. I will most likely be selling the blonde naso in a few years when my emperor angel reaches maturity.

Do you think I have room for my one spot fox face? or is my tank already maxed out?

Ive decided to sell my blue hippo tang and keep my one spot fox face and my bluejaw trigger. My final stock list is going to be

1. Emperor Angel
2. Blonde Naso Tang
3. Porcupine Puffer
4. Male Bluejaw Trigger
5. One Spot Fox Face
6. Copperband Butterfly
7. Kole Tang
8. Flame Angel
9. Melanurus Wrasse
10. Blue Spotted Puffer
11. Royal Gramma Basslet
12. Mated Pair of Clownfish