225 build in my basement

panaboy95

well a while back my 150 leaked. since then i had been looking for a new tank. ended up uying a 225 acrylic tank from a guy in STL. i am finally starting to get started on the build up of it.

this is the tank it was a little rough when i got it but i got a good deal on it so it was worth the time i spent buffing it.

before bufing
DSC08232.jpg

After buffing for about 8 hours
DSC08332.jpg

I have started to build the stand for it it will sit in a wall in the basement.

the stand getting started.
DSC08419.jpg

the stand done and the back is left open on this stand because of the 75 gallon sump is going to sit under it. it has three 2x6 supports in the back alone so it does not bow at all in the back.
DSC08423.jpg

hey 14 veiws people accully do look at this forum. spent yesterday finishing up painting. i have also been cleaning the dead rock from the old tank. i have to drill a couple of holes in the 75 and it will be ready to get put in. i plan on getting the tank back on the stand and getting some fresh water in it and test the level with it full of water. then i will get it bolted down.

well i got some fresh water in the tank to test the level and the stand. all went well. no sagging in the open back of the stand. i also got all the rock cleaned and is drying in the garage. i figure i have about 250 pounds. i will be doing all the rock placement dry and then cycling. now i just have to get some holes driled in the sump and get some plumbing stuff.

DSC08437.jpg

DSC08436.jpg

DSC08435.jpg

well no new pics but just got my order from savko. still need to plumbing stuff from lowes. then i will start to get some plumbing done i still have to put baffles in the sump. i did buy two used vortech mp40w i should have them this week. i am wanting to get them running with a little fresh water to see how much water they are going to move. I also want to do one final bufing on the front pane so it is nice and clear.

cant wait to see this thing done....still workin on my build... got a sump being made right now then the plumbing and pump come in play

well i have done some work on the tank this weekend. i got the light fixture up. i mounted it on closet door tracks so that i can roll the light out of the way to work in the tank. i also got some of the stuff done in the cabinet next to the tank. i mounted the ACJR and the vortech controller. i also mounted a DJ swich in there for a couple of things in the tank. i think i am going to put a receptical in the middle on a switch for doing maint. stuff in the tank. i am sure it will come in handy once in a while. i also cut a hole in the side of the cabinet for mounting the dry side of the vortech. i just hope i like the place it is at because it wil be a pain to move it. now i just need to do some plumbing it is not too far away from seeing water but i still need to do quite a bit of stuff before it is ready to go. i still have to finish building my skimmer my G3 will not be able to handle the job. i still need to do a lot of work before the skimmer will be ready to go.

DSC08446.jpg

DSC08449.jpg

DSC08447.jpg

DSC08448.jpg

well it has been a while since i updated this thread i have been working on the tank and skimmer. the tank is now totally polished. i spent another couple of hours getting it as good as it is going to get. there are still a couple of scratches but they are small and i can live with them i may not even see them once water is in it. I drilled out the 3/4 bulkhead holes to take 1" bulkheads. i plan on running both holes as drains. i am going to try to run one as a siphon hole we will see how it works. i also drilled a couple holes in the top to run the returns. I hope to do some plumbing this week.

DSC08454.jpg

I also threw the powerheads in the tank to look at the placement. i like the placement the way it is but we will have to see once the water and rock are in. the two korilias are number 3s and once the rock goes in you will not see them as much i think. i hope the flow is pretty good with two 3's and two mp40's plus the return. if i need to i could always put another powerhead of some sort on the back wall pointing the front of the tank.

DSC08456.jpg

What are the dimensions on that tank. Mine is 72" x 24" x 24" and its a 200 gallon tank.yours looks like a 60"x 24" x 24" by the picture. Why did you put the wave makers down so far?

this tank is 72" 30" 24" tall. i am guessing you are talking about the koralias on the overflows they are low to keep the flow behind the rocks. it will be a reef tank wene it is done by the way a 72 x 24 x24 is a standard 180 gallon tank

well i got the plumbing done for the tank. i put a siphon drain in each overflow. i was thinking it will pull more water and be a little more quiet. it works good it is real quiet and flows a lot more than just a couple of dursos. i am running my dart wide open and the dursos are barely sucking any air at all. i only have one leak the dart shaft seal is leaking. the pump has been sitting around for a while so i am just going to replace it. i have an extra one.

DSC08459.jpg

DSC08460.jpg

DSC08461.jpg

DSC08462.jpg

well i have been working on some rock placement. all the rock i have is dry so i am placing it in the tank. i will make salt water in 55 gallon drums then add it to the tank as i make it. i have bought 60 pounds of live rock from a friend. once all the water is mixed and the tank is flowing saltwater the live rock will be added. hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

DSC08464.jpg

DSC08463.jpg

Back