250 Gallon help

Kshack

Posted this on your website but it bounced back. Bad email address?
I have an H&S 300 2X1260 external skimmer on a 250 medium stock SPS tank. . Body diameter just uynder 10". I have had problems with the impeller chewing up the SS washers and more noise than I would like. Recently one of the Ehiem 1260 pumps cracked the housing resulting in a leak and tripping of the ground fault supply...not good. Looking for a cure.
Would like to stay with an external, but Royal does not include the new DC pumps in that line. My opening in the sump is 9". I do have 11" width, but would have to trim some of the lip of acrylic in the sump. Possible, but not ideal. Looks like the only unit that may fit would be the Delux 200 at 10" wide and some grinding on the sump.
Another option I am considering is a RD3 pump and modify the connections to work with existing skimmer. No bubble plate. Recomend 50 or 60W?
I noticed you do not have Delux 200 in stock. Can I order direct form Europe? Estimated time and approximate cost to ship, including taxes?.
Possibly several other questions once we decide on the path forward. Feel free to call me if better able to communicate. I am in Washington State.
Thanks,
Ken
More than happy to discuss over the phone if you have contact info.

Posted this on your website but it bounced back. Bad email address?
I have an H&S 300 2X1260 external skimmer on a 250 medium stock SPS tank. . Body diameter just uynder 10". I have had problems with the impeller chewing up the SS washers and more noise than I would like. Recently one of the Ehiem 1260 pumps cracked the housing resulting in a leak and tripping of the ground fault supply...not good. Looking for a cure.
Would like to stay with an external, but Royal does not include the new DC pumps in that line. My opening in the sump is 9". I do have 11" width, but would have to trim some of the lip of acrylic in the sump. Possible, but not ideal. Looks like the only unit that may fit would be the Delux 200 at 10" wide and some grinding on the sump.
Another option I am considering is a RD3 pump and modify the connections to work with existing skimmer. No bubble plate. Recomend 50 or 60W?
I noticed you do not have Delux 200 in stock. Can I order direct form Europe? Estimated time and approximate cost to ship, including taxes?.
Possibly several other questions once we decide on the path forward. Feel free to call me if better able to communicate. I am in Washington State.
Thanks,
Ken
More than happy to discuss over the phone if you have contact info.

You can order the externals directly from Europe. The prices on the site include an 18% VAT which would be deducted from the cost. Shipping isn't cheap and that would have to be quoted directly from Germany. You can also order it from Aquarium Specialty as they have shipments coming in from Royal Exclusiv Germany all the time and it would save you money over ordering it directly. That said, the externals are all in the middle of a redesign and will include the RD3 pump. I am hoping they will be released towards the end of the year.

As for modifiying an RD3 skimmer pump for external use, that's a tough one. The exit side would be easy but the inlet side won't. The nozzle is held in place with an o-ring which won't lend itself well for external use. The external RD3 skimmer pumps that will come with the new external bubble kings will have a different volute with a permanently attached nozzle. That said, if you were to attempt this, I would suggest the RD3 60 skimmer pump but I think you would be much happier with a Deluxe 200 external. I will also point out that there is nothing wrong with the current Deluxe 200 external skimmer pump. That Red Dragon pump is an EXCELLENT pump. We have customers who are pushing 10 years on the same pump. With a little bit of regular maintenance (cleaning every 4-5 months) that pump will last forever.

Back